Daviddaviddavid

Replacing a dvr - compatability with cameras

I think my father in laws DVR needs replacing. It can't access the HD and won't rcognise a new one.

The DVR is an Apollo HD series (A Qviss brand)

The cameras are 540 TVL (hope this is enough info- if not ask me), and connected by BNC.

I want to know which DVR could replace this (or what type). and I want to take the opportunity to have one that can easily be viewable over the internet.

I have been driven to asking on the forum because.

I went to Maplins who said it was all complicated and difficult to say if their DVRs would work with the cameras and I'd be better to buy a new system. (I note they have since gone into administration).

Spoken to Qviss who were useless and referred me to an installer who was only reachable by mobile. Qviss weren't interested in selling direct or referring me to a retailer. When I said people sold their stuff on Amazon they behaved as if I had sworn in church. (suspect they will be next into administration).

My local CCTV shop aren't answering the phone or replying to emails.

I'm not even trying to do this on the cheap or cut corners just don't want to do business with unhelpful people.

So any advice is welcome. Thanks

First, 540TVL cameras are old and you should concider changing those as well, while you're at it.

For pure compatibility, almost any DVR with a BNC input will work for you.

DVRs with BNC input these days are either AHD, CVI or TVI and will also support legacy analog cameras.

Most (if not all) modern DVR support viewing over the internet.

You just need to know which ports on your router you need to open up (or use a VPN).

Many retailers do not want to sell directly to end-user customers simply because of the hours of support that often comes with it. Also, they don't want to be in competition with their installer customers.

Find an installer and ask if they sell for DIY projects.

Thanks. Appreciate your comments.

I think I'll get him up and running with a new NVR and then change the cameras at my leisure. Might even be cheaper to buy a whole new kit of NVR and 4 Cameras.