smjohns

AVTECH AVT204A Problem

Hi,

I am having a problem with an AVTECH AVT204A DVR. I decided to upgrade the firmware last night as it was running a really old version. I downloaded the latest from the AVTECH website (1051-1012-1027-1012) and put this on a USB stick and from within the menu kicked off the upgrade. It found the file and seemed to update the system area without issue. It then began a database upgrade but this seemed to stick at 99%. I left it for 10hrs but this status did not change and although the unit was still streaming content in the background (time moving, etc) the box was completely unresponsive and the HDD activity light off.

This morning I had to switch the box off as we having building work done. When I powered the unit back on, it seemed to start up ok and reached the login page but I noticed that the camera feeds are no longer being displayed. After entering my credentials it seems that the HDD is no longer being recognised, but I can't be sure. After a minute or so the box crashes and reboots.

I tried a HD clear and although it went through the motions the unit is still not reporting a hard disc and the unit is still not playing camera feed and reboots itself every few minutes. I have now tried a factory default reset, but the unit is still not reporting a hard disc and is rebooting every few minutes.

Has anyone had a similar problem and if so how do I best resolve this?

I have managed to fix this myself. I removed the hard disc and removed the two partitions, returning it to factory state. I then rebooted the device but this did not solve the issue and the hard disc was still not being recognised, even though it forced me to clear the disc. As a final attempt to resolve the issue, from a powered off state, I inserted a memory stick with the above firmware on it and then bridged the pins TP7 & TP8 on the motherboard and powered up the unit. It beeped on power up but I waited for a second beep before removing the bridge. The device then entered firmware install mode and re-applied the firmware. It then powered up and started working instantly. After a few mins re-setting my configuration (and removing the default admin account), everything is back working again.....phew.