magga

Replacing Hard Drive Dedicated Micros D4

Hi everyone,

I have a Dedicated Micros D4 and the hard drive is on its way out. It's a 40GB one. I have recently bought a new 320GB one which I tried putting in but it gave me the error:

"Disc problem - may be wrong FAT version. Suggest using monitor to reformat disk"

I then tried formatting the HDD to FAT32 but still the same error.

I then copied all the info across from the 40GB HDD onto the 320GB one but still got the same error when put into the DVR.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this ?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think it's going to be possible for you to replace the HD. The factory has to do it. And they won't upgrade the drive to a larger size from what I understand, they rather you buy a new DVR at a higher price.

IF someone has field replaced a HD on a DM DVR, I'd love to hear it. There are some guys on eBay from time to time that replace drives on DM DVRs. My guess is they are former employee's.

You might wanna contact them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BN-160GB-DEDICATED-MICROS-REPLACEMENT-UPGRADE-HARD-DISK_W0QQitemZ200063668951QQihZ010QQcategoryZ48632QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These guys on ebay are sending the drives out though for the end user to replace them ?

Surely this means something simple needs doing to the hard drive in order for it to work ?

Dedicated Micros DVR's used to (as of a year or two ago) put the operating system on the primary hard drive. If it goes bad, you have to get it fixed by the factory. I think you can replace the other drives in a multiple drive system, but unless something has changed, the primary drive has the OS, and you can't just slap another one in.

oh believe me you have to send it in. This was the incident that brought about my end with dedicated micros a few years ago.

We sent the dvr in next day air. Because they promise they will fix it within 24 hours and send it back the way you sent it. So a month go's by and no dvr and they have no clue where it is.

So the dvr shows up at my place and no one at dm has any idea how it got there.

This was after I told the military that there dvr was lost by the manufacturer.

So then I get to look even more like an idiot by bringing in a supposed lost dvr. After that I told dm to take their overpriced dvr's and stuck up tech support/rma distaster department and shove it .

well that is the edited version with a few words missing and some replaced with more PG words.

These guys on ebay are sending the drives out though for the end user to replace them ?

Surely this means something simple needs doing to the hard drive in order for it to work ?

I'm sure plugging the drive in is easy, getting it properly formatted, initialized, and OS installed is something else.

I'm sure plugging the drive in is easy, getting it properly formatted, initialized, and OS installed is something else.

there was another member on this forum that exlained how he did this for DM DVRs .. i cant remember exactly how it was done, but seemed easy enough.

Dedicated Micros DVR's used to (as of a year or two ago) put the operating system on the primary hard drive. If it goes bad, you have to get it fixed by the factory. I think you can replace the other drives in a multiple drive system, but unless something has changed, the primary drive has the OS, and you can't just slap another one in.

There is only one drive in the DVR.

'm sure plugging the drive in is easy, getting it properly formatted, initialized, and OS installed is something else.

He won't be selling say a 80HDD with nothing on it for £95 ! My 320GB only cost £58. Judging by the feedback his drives do seem to work.

there was another member on this forum that exlained how he did this for DM DVRs .. i cant remember exactly how it was done, but seemed easy enough.

If you could find the post Rory that would be great. I've searched but cannot find anything.

It was in a PM and about a year ago, I think the user was seanmort ..

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=30359

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=27290&highlight=#27290

also .. maybe you can just copy the old hard disk and restore it to the new one? Partition to partition.

Plug both drives into a XP PC .. as 2 additional drives.. dont format.

Download SNAPSHOT.EXE

http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/down.htm

Run it, make a backup of the old drive, then do a restore to the new one.

If Snapshot can read the old disk that is. Also im going by if the OS is on the old drive.

Ok thanks.

I have already tried using snapshot to copy one drive to the other but it didn't work

were you able to create a back up of the old drive?

you create the backup first, then select that backup to restore.

Yeah I could create a backup of the old drive and put it to the new drive but still got the same error.

I don't know why anyone would even bother going with DM DVRs in view that they have these kinds of policy. Charging you an arm and a leg to put in HDDs that can be had for less than 100 bucks retail is just outrageous.

Ensure you have setup an I.P address on the machine including the subnet mask, I think that you will find the DVR in question will only support upto a 160GB drive pref Maxtor once drive has been fitted ensure it is setup as a Master turn on the DVR an it will boot up and show, halted in bootloader you then need to download the latest software for your DVR from the manufactures web site i.e. (DVTR or DVTX version as printed on the main PCB) use the FTP programme which comes with the software download. Input the I.P address of your machine (DVR) once upload has completed you will need to down power and repower your unit.

Regards,

Hi Galaxy,

Thanks for your reply. The only number I can see on the circuit board is D4L21 so I'm not sure which software I should be downloading ?

Also if I try to connect to the D4 with the IP, it doesn't allow me a connection:

STATUS:> Connecting to FTP server 192.168.2.3:21 (ip = 192.168.2.3)...

ERROR:> Can't read from control socket. Socket error = #10054.

I use this software quite a bit, not sure why it can't connect. My network viewer can connect to it on this IP ok.

Ok thanks, one question though, how can I get the DVR into bootloader mode with the new drive in when it won't boot up far enough for me to get to the menus ?

2. Put the Digital Unit into 'Bootloader mode' by:

- Going to the TIME, DATE AND LANGUAGE menu page.

- Enable the SYSTEM SHUTDOWN menu option.

- When prompted to hold in camera 1, hold down Camera 2 instead.

- The unit should automatically restart after a few seconds.

- After the unit restarts, "Halted in Bootloader" should appear at the bottom

of the screen.

Once you have connected the drive into the machine ensure it has been setup as the master drive on the IDE, once the machine has been switched on it will go straight to the bootloader as the in no software installed on the drive yet. then follow the previous instructions.

Just kind of an FYI, Dedicated Micros does offer an excellent 3 Year Advance RMA policy to help counteract for the fact that you are not supposed to fix hard drives yourself.

I'm not paying for a warranty service, I bought this unit 2nd hand for next to nothing there's no point paying out now.....

Galaxy it doesnt bring up the bootloader it says:

Disc problem - may be wrong FAT version. Suggest using monitor to reformat disk

The software you require is D4 D4LU version 3.0 (036)

To FTP to the box you must use the software which is supplied with the Fimware from the DM web site.

Hi All,

After spending couple hours I found a solution to our problem...

This is tested with a new 80gb drive (up to 160 gb should work. Technically up to 3.2tb will work)

1. Create a Primary FAT32 partition using Windows Disk Management. Do not limit partition size use all available space. When asked select " Do not format partition"

2. Download a 3rd party FAT32 formatter. I used fat32formatter from RidgeCrop. Format the disk with the application

3. Download the firmware update from dm website.

4. Use the included ftp program to upload the files the the machine. You need to know the IP address of the DM

5. Mount the HDD back to the unit. It will create a new storage image when you boot it up.

6. Restart the DM unit. And thats it.

magga, i have the same problem. have you any solution ?

my eco4 says -disk problem - may be wrong FAT version suggest using monitor to reformat disk.

I can't get the DVR into bootloader mode.

Regards,

I've had some success replacing and upgrading hard drives in a couple of DM Digital Sprite 2 units so far, and the most important thing I have found is to be sure the unit has an IP address set in it BEFORE it dies or starts having issues. When you set an IP on a unit it is written on the HD as well as the motherboard. When you install a new hard drive the IP will still be retained in the unit. I have yet to find a way to recover a DM unit that has a HD problem and no IP Address.

Babitor: Have you tried putting a new HD into the unit after properly formatting it as yilmazozer mentioned? At least in the DS2 units, it will stop at "Halted at Bootloader" when a new drive (correctly formatted) is installed.

There are a number of reasons for getting the "Wrong FAT version" message. Here are a few things that have caused it for me.

1. Power lead for HD came off motherboard (found this in more than one DS2)

2. Wrong jumper setting on HD - start with a single drive (even if the unit originally had two drives) and set the jumper to Master. No Cable Select

3. Having a slave HD installed (even when it is correctly configured) on a system that was "locked" to only have one hard drive. Unhooking the slave corrected this.

4. Not properly preparing the drive, just installing a new hard drive without formatting.

An interesting note on #3 - I was recently trying to upgrade a DS2 9 channel that was originally a single 160 gig HD to two 500 gig HDs. The primary 500 gig drive boots fine and has no problems. When I add the slave drive, the system will not boot. I tried three different slaves of different sizes, but none of them worked. As soon as I remove the slave, the system boots fine. I decided to call DM about it and see if there was something I was missing. The tech at first was talking through it with me, and stated that some DS units are "locked" and won't allow a slave drive. Once I mentioned that I had also upgraded the primary drive, he immediately refused to talk to me. He stated that I shouldn't do that, that they use special HDs in the units not just regular drives, etc. He then said he was not allowed to comment further as what I was doing was not permitted by DM and ended the call.

It's interesting because just a few days ago I took an older DS2 16 ch 160 gig and upgraded it with 2 500 gig drives without a problem. That unit also only had one drive originally. The only difference was that it was older and has different boot software and application software installed. I can't change the boot software on the 9 ch but I might try to install an older rev of the application and see if that resolves it. Most likely it's in the boot software thought. I also might try removing the slave from the 16 and installing it as a slave in the 9 with the folder structure already in place. I don't think that will work, but it's worth a try.

Ok, it is a IDE drive.

Does the replacement drive have to be a MAXTOR? Has anyone else used a different brand drive?