john32073

Hello Looking at installin an IP system

I am going to install a surveillance system. I have been reading up on all the types of systems, I believe that the one I want is an IP with a few WIFI cameras to cover the backyard garage and sheds. (As I will not have to lay cat 5 wiring to these buildings)

I do not really need wifi as I can use wire on the camera’s mounted to the house.

I am going to run it off my Desktop computer, later on building a computer just for the surveillance system.

I was looking at DVR PCI cards for my computer. I’ve seen that they have vga type video plugs. This caused me to think how would I set setup the wifi camera’s

My modem and router are one unit (Comcast wifi ) hard wired and wifi and I have one 8 port switch hard wired.

Does anyone have idea If I am going about this the wrong way. Any input would be greatly appreciated

John

Hi John,

Keep in mind that dvr cards and ip cameras are two different things.

Ip cameras connect via Ethernet cables (cat 5 or cat 6) and can usually be powered by Poe.

The dvr cards for a computer are for accepting the input of analog cameras.

The card you're speaking of with VGA style inputs sounds like some of the brands I've seen, such as eyemax, where each connector has 8 BNC pigtails for connecting analog cameras

I would go down the road of a proper IP type system and build up on it from initially just viewing cameras from your PC to then recording with a small NVR. This way you can also get the wireless cameras from the far buildings onto the IP system quite easily.

This will save you money from doing the job twice.

I was looking at the Zmodo ZP-IBH13-W camera. I am open to anyone suggestions.

I got two out building to mount 3 cameras on they need to be wifi type. Ave $100 per camera little more or less

I am away from home during the week and can only reply to responses on weekends due to my job. I was just looking at some Mini NVR recorders,

another thing to consider if your planning to use a pc-based system is the requirements.. i believe it will require you a higher-end CPU..

i believe the seasoned experts can confirm or cannot confirm my suggestion...