MELDJM

hardwiring power to cameras

Hello... I've been searching the internet for a while now and just not finding a definite answer to my question.

I am trying to hardwire 3 cctv cables, 2 that go to cameras and 1 to a microphone, to a master power supply. Upon striping the wires I have 3 different wire types. I'm hoping someone here can advise me as to which wires are (+) and which I should hook up to the (-) terminal. I really do not want to fry anything. I have attached a picture of my issue.

The white wire has 1 silver and 1 copper w/green insulation. The first black wire has 2 copper wires 1 w/black ins. 1 w/red ins. The second black wire has 1 copper wire, no ins. and one silver wire w/wht ins.

Just don't know how much this could matter and I really want to proceed with my installation.

Thank you kindly for any help.

Mel

1415113165_CCTVPOWERWIRES(640x360).jpg.bf3f05d3a30e79725cce9998ef9882b4.jpg

It's hard to say just looking at the wires.

Usually if something is powered backward, it just won't work.

But first off, about your mic cable

I'm assuming that's the bare copper and white one.

That looks like it would be the audio line that would not go to a power supply.

How many wires are at your microphone?

How many cameras? 2?

Does the white cable go to one camera and the black (middle cable) go to another camera and the end black cable to the mic?

If I had to guess on the power, at least for the red and black cable, I'd say its typical to assume the black is negative and the red is positive

Hi MGB,

Thanks for your response. I did figure that the wire with the red and black ins. was standard and hooked up one camera to it and is working fine. Thanks for bringing up the issue with the mic. I had ordered 2 cameras and a separate mic and the 3 cords. Said I could save money getting the used cords so I thought, no problem. The cameras are not audio capable so I assumed the mic would just be wired separately. Upon getting your reply, I took it out of the box and you are correct. It does have different connecters. Not sure if I can still hook it up directly to the monitor or DVR? What would you suggest, if you don't mind me asking?

Still can't figure out the other wires. Do you think it could harm the camera in your opinion if I just try something? They were pretty expensive.

Thanks for your help.

Does your dvr have a mic input? If so the mic terminates there.

So is it just the white cable unknown now?

Your facts are still a little vague here. What do you mean by used cables.

Can you shiw pics of the other ends of these cables?

It has sound input, not sure if that's what I'm looking for. I have attached 3 pics. one of the DVR front, 1 of the DVR back (not a great pic, sorry hope you can tell what's there.) and one of the equipment including the wires.

After taking the whole mic out of the box I did find the adapter for the BNC connecter.

I am still not sure which wires are positive on the White cable or the black cable with the 1 copper and 1 silver wire w/white insulation.

760406947_CCTVEQUIP.(640x387).jpg.9520cf99b41652bcb1d23eff7045f7fb.jpg

1933438618_DVRBACK(640x360).jpg.0272c2998b021460a55e58a6e75a89e7.jpg

933711866_DVRFRONT(640x360).jpg.a442b8735f8d54bc75267d4f8c19b3e5.jpg

On the power wires, you can test it with a multimeter but it will be the uninsulated wire will be negative and the insulated wire will be positive.