craigo987

New to CCTV Forum

Hello all,

Newbie here. Been doing CCTV for around 20 years now. Mostly Geovision but some stand alone DVR stuff.

Looking forward to learning some new tricks here and sharing what I have to offer.

Thanks for the add,

Craig Ovadia

Good day, can I ask you something since I'm just new in the CCTV system and you were 20 yrs on it?

can IP cameras be run using fiber optics?

and does an IP camera that is fiber optic ready exist?

We are still in the bidding process, the company says that they want an PoE system that's why I conclude they need IP cameras but they also said that the cameras we will give them must be fiber optic ready. And on my previous question here in this forum, someone said that PoE can't be run using fiber optic. What's your opinion Sir?

I have never worked with Fiber optics. From what I understand, it can be done. But at this time it's pretty expensive and is still in development.

From what I have read, there are cameras. They are very pricey.

I came into this thread a bit late, but, can offer some info.

I know of no camera that is "fiber ready". But, fiber media converter that convert IP to fiber and back again are inexpensive and will solve the problem. You would need to provide power to the media converter, but it doesn't really have to be at the camera. You could consolidate all the IP in one cabinet and install the media converters there.

Hello all,

Newbie here. Been doing CCTV for around 20 years now. Mostly Geovision but some stand alone DVR stuff.

Looking forward to learning some new tricks here and sharing what I have to offer.

Thanks for the add,

Craig Ovadia

Welcome! Lots has changed since you started in cctv, hasn't it? I can imagine what it was like back in the day. I'm sure you've got some great stories too.