Sign in to follow this  
raif281

Hey all, newb with questions

Hello everyone, complete newb when it comes to cameras, dvr's an such. I'm closing on a house at the end of the month and i was looking to get a relatively decent security camera system with DVR. Now my girlfriends dad bought the defender system that came with 4 cameras and a i think 2TB DVR, link below

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Defender-Connected-Pro-8-Channel-960H-2TB-Surveillance-System-with-4-Wired-800-TVL-Camera-21154/204421948

i watched his and it seemed to have pretty good imagine quality and he added a mic an it sounded really good and clear. I was looking at home depot checking out the reviews on his and saw a similar setup but with 8 cameras. link below

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Defender-Connected-Pro-8-Channel-960H-2TB-Surveillance-System-with-8-Wired-800-TVL-Camera-21155/204421951

Now i think i would need somewhere around 8 cameras as it's a 2200 sq ft house with a 550sq ft detached garage. 1 for each corner, 1-2 for the backyard, probably get a different camera for the front door outside and 1 watching the 2 entrances for the garage.

Now what i would like to know from you guys is

1) Is defender any good and have you or any one you know had any personal experience with them?

2) I think it's a decent deal on sale for $333 from $500, what do you guys think? I'm not sure what all the acronyms mean so i'm not 100% sure it's the best bang for my buck with matching the cameras to the system and all.

3) I was looking to spend 3-400 on my first initial system, is there something better out there for that amount of money?

4) Can someone tell me what the TVL and rest of itall means and how it all works together? or post a link or something, I'll be doing some research on an off the next few weeks. Looking to buy them some time by the end of the month when we close on the house so i can install them right after we move in.

Thanks for all the help,

Matt