Server upgrade postponed

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: New member: Want to install NVR with PoIP cameras...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:56 pm 

Hi Everyone,

I just joined the forum.

I'm looking for information for a surveillance system for my home. I'll be doing the full install/configuration myself since I've already created a hard-wired Gigabit network throughout my house (my background is computer science and I know how to do all of this wiring myself).

I want to buy an NVR and use PoIP cameras throughout.

I have been poking around the forum and I was hoping to find information comparing the various NVR companies and also cameras.

A friend highly suggested that I buy a Hikvision NVR. I was very close to buying their DS-7608NI-I2/8P and put a WD 4TB Purple drive in it. I then found out that Hikvision is actually owned by the Chinese government.

I don't mind buying products made in other countries but when the government owns the company I start to doubt the integrity.

In the end I may still buy one but I'd like to explore other brands. Maybe there's a better company out there for not too much more money.

I'd like for the NVR to either have built-in powered Ethernet ports or I could just buy a router with powered ports.

I'd also like for it to have a good interface with the ability for me to remotely access the cameras.

So on to my introductory questions:
  • Any good introduction to surveillance systems documents I should read?
  • Any opinions on Hikvision or other brands? Are there any American companies making NVRs?
  • Any good tutorials on camera selection I should read?
  • Any questions I should have asked that I didn't? :)

Thanks in advance for any input!
Larry.

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]