anthor13

Broadcasting CCTV over CATV

Does anyone know anything about broadcasting security camera footage over a cable tv channel in an apartment building? This is so that every tenant can monitor the cameras. I think you're suppose to use an agile modulator, but don't know anything besides that. If anyone has used this before, could you tell me which ones work well and which ones don't. What are some common problems with their use? Where can I purchase them? Thanks for the help.

I have used Channel Vision so far. One issue is I had to buy a Cable TV Filter as the Cable signal would cause interferenc in the CCTV video feed. Other than that it is very simple to set up. Its nowhere the same quality as using a direct feed from the CCTV mux/camera into the TV input, and nowhere close to the quality of a CCTV monitor in any event.

Rory

I have used Channel Vision so far. One issue is I had to buy a Cable TV Filter as the Cable signal would cause interferenc in the CCTV video feed. Other than that it is very simple to set up. Its nowhere the same quality as using a direct feed from the CCTV mux/camera into the TV input, and nowhere close to the quality of a CCTV monitor in any event.

Rory

That being said, I think you've got the best option going though for what he's trying to accomplish.

Question about the modulator:

Does the channel you're broadcasting over have to be an empty channel or will it broadcast over an occupied cable channel? Also, how much do these things cost? Thanks for all your help so far.

you set it to an unused channel.

full range modulators (such as choice of 72-114 as opposed to a simple one which does ch 3 or 4) can cost around $75 for a single channel one. The cheaper ones that do ch 3 or 4 are much cheaper, like $20, and you can find them in most electronic stores.

How do you connect it into cable, I have actually never done this before..

I have used RF Modulators using several fequencies on one channel then using a rmeote you can change through but would be very interested in a solution that allowed you to connect it to Cable TV so that you can use your existing remote, can anyone tell me if there is an off the shelf option?

The way I have done it, coax out from the Monitor output into the Input on the RF Modulator. I use a single channel RF Modulator from Channel Vision, Full Range so you can manually set it on a selected channel, see below:

"Converts video & audio signals to RF. Loop tuning eliminates channel drift. 120 selectable channels UHF – Ch. 14-69; Cable 65-94,100-125"

Other brands offer RF mods, though Channel Vision is one of the most used around this part of the world, they should all be the same (?). Even Radio Shack sells their products.

Then, the output on the RF modulator goes on coax to the entry point of cable TV into your home, or before the cable TV splits off to your TVs. Using a 2 way input splitter, Cable Tv goes in one input, the RF Mod signal in the other. There is then one output which goes off to your TVs using whatever way you have them going, normally a multi splitter, such as a 1 in, 4 out 7db splitter, or amp etc.

I also use a cable TV filter inbetween the 2-input-1-ouput splitter so it filters out any cable TV interference. Channel Vision makes both the modulators and the filters, the filters are only like $5.

Then you just use your TV remote to switch to the channel you set it on. I use 72 as default, but you can use any channel that is not used in the set range (65-94,100-125)

Its actually pretty cool, with this client of mine, she has 2x 42" Plasmas, 1 50" Plasma, 2 x 19" Tvs, 1x 13" TV/VCR in the Kitchen, 1 x 37" TV, and a Big Screen TV (huge, not sure the actual size, 70"? Its used in a sound proof room and has theatre settings etc). When you put just one camera on the mux to display on the monitor, its a huge video image on those large TVs/Plasmas, not as crisp as the CCTV monitor or the smaller TVs like the 19" ones, but still impressive. Her Plasmas are pretty old and will be upgrading next few weeks, maybe the new ones will give better quality.

Rory

On a 19" standard TV, it is actually good, i was surprised. It is not as crisp as on the CCTV monitor, but still very good. I think it really depends on the TV itself also, and ofcourse the cameras.

These were 1x 19" Panasonic Flat Screen TV w/DVD/VCR, and 1x Toshiba 19" same specs. The 13" TV even better, ofcourse its small. The 37" TV, still good, just as good as the TV picture on something that large. I havent had a chance to do a side by side comparison with direct input into RCA and the RF mod, but from what I can tell, the direct input is better, not by much, though also depends on the TV. I have another job with a direct connection to RCA input, Toshiba Flat Screen and the quality is not that good at all, colors are off. But could have been the damaged DVR which I had to send back. I would run direct if you can, if not then the Rf mods on Cable is still good.

Basically the Plasmas are large and great to see an image that large, but the quality does not match the regular TVs, which includes the 37" TV. The large screen TV is not as good as the regular ones either, even on a TV channel, but better than the Plasmas. Once you stand back from the 42-50" Plasmas, it is a good image. Its ease of use and no extra wires to install (except the one from the RF mod to the cable begin).

We just reran all cable wires and new connectors, as the cable had been bad (water, connections, splices, etc), now with new cables and connectors it is much better, waiting for an amp now, but except for the longest run TVs, I doubt it can be better than it is.

Using RCA input, my 13" Celerra (cheap) TV gives a great picture, but my 19" Celera is terrible. The 19" is a refrubished unit, so that may answer some questions there.

Rory