Sign in to follow this  
jeromephone

GV_VMS

anybody used the new version of VMS I have read the older thread but we are in process of quoting a system that will have about 45 cameras including 4 fisheye I am a bit confused about the decoding using a GPU. I have downloaded the info on USA vision. It looks like we can get by with an I7 and 16 gig of ram but I would like to hear from somebody who has a similiar system running and what specks they installed

Depends on what you are trying to do with it really, but yes an i7 and 16Gb of ram is pretty solid.

We have VMS running on a few machines at a few different properties. One has 5 monitors and displays about 17-20 cameras at one time or so. That unit is only recording 32, but live, playback, and recording all coexist fine with that setup. We use nothing less than a GTX1060 graphics card (or two for more than 4 screens) and the overhead is pretty decent. Graphics cards make a huge difference as the more CUDA cores you have, the more/faster the offload of rendering streams is sent to your card and off of your CPU.

The only warning I would give from our experience is they do not yet support GPU/Cuda offloading for rendering HEVC (H.265) so if you are using several of their latest cameras with that codec the overhead on the system climbs sharply.

I also do not like how VMS handles fisheye's, but that may be a personal preference. You are limited to just the virtual PTZ mode. It creates 5 entries on your camera list with one being a quad/PTZ and the other 4 being individual views of those full screen. I prefer how both their NVR and Control Center handle them with other options.