steve6690

Geovision webcam window

Software is terrible compared to GeoVision. There is another thread on the forum where someone bought the Pico 2000 and trashed it. Stick with the GeoVision, you will be far better off.

so you guys seem to really know your stuff with these cards, if you were on a $200 budjet for a card, what card would you go with and why?

GeoVision has more features per dollar than any other card I've seen. Their GUI is a little rough compared to some of the really slick systems out there such as Digi-Flower, Idis, Kodicom, Chance-I, etc, but those cards are much more expensive. GeoVision has dynamic IP which is a killer feature, along with multiple site remote, object search, really good web browser remote, and on and on. Also they have lots of free updates available on their web site, while most other card companies are difficult to find updates and slow to implement them. If they would only polish their GUI they could become one of the best cards around. Download their manual and check out what you can do with it. In fact the best way to get a quick idea of what each card can do is to go online and download manuals and compare.

You can get the GeoVision manual at

http://www.geovision.com.tw/002/en/download.asp

Yeah I compared the Geovision software and web viewing to the Alnet software.

This is what I thought..

The Geovision seems to have more features. The Alnet looks a little more professional IF you have more than 4 cameras, but for what I am doing I am probably not going to be using more than 4 cameras ever.

The Alnet DIDN'T have web viewing UNLESS you download the program and install it. This is probably the single most drawback for me because the main reason I am getting CCTV is to view it remotely over the web. So it is imperative to be able to go to a website and just download the auto Applet or whatever and be able to view the cams. Many remote computers if they are not ours do not allow you to install software on the computer, so this web browsing feature is very important to me. All in all, I did like the Geovision, but I am just concerned that the GV-250 will be too slow for me at 20fps... what do you guys think? right now I only have 1 cam but plan on expanding up to about 3 or 4 cams and don't know if this card will handle it?

The next thing I was wondering is, what is the FASTEST you can stream video online? I have NEVER came across a viewer where the video looks like it is 30fps, it always looks much slower than real motion. What is the MOST FPS that you can do through the internet? Since this is my main use to stream online, then this might decide what card I go with...

Is anybody here a distributor for Geovision? If so, could you give me your BEST prices on the GV-250 and the GV-600.. please just PM me with those prices. I live in New Jersey at zip code: 07438 so let me know what shipping would be too.

Thanks

I bought the GV250 around 6 weeks ago. I have the 8 port version without audio and it is being used for a home surveillance system. Currently I have only one camera installed and the system records at 16fps (PAL). I have tried using another video source (Sony Playstation) to simulate 2 cameras working at the same time. Obviously there is a visible difference as the total fps was then split between the two inputs, however it showed me that I could probably have four cameras recording simultaneously and the fps per camera would still be adequate for what I need ie intruder recording.

You need to decide whether you require full motion video (25fps PAL or 30fps NTSC), and then decide how many cameras will be recording at any one time. I am using motion detection recording and I doubt I will ever have more than two cameras recording at the same time. If you would like me to record some short files for you at whatever fps etc, I will do so and you can download them and play them (you'll need a cable/dsl connection)

Steve

yeah Steve that would be AWESOME, if maybe you can give me the FULL 20 fps NTSC example then give me that split in half at like 10 FPS NTSC, and IF possible could you even go a bit further and give me a 5 FPS NTSC so I could see what it would look like IF I do put 4 cameras to it...

Now can you also clarify something, you said that ONLY when the cameras are recording the FPS is utilized. Well does that mean that the cameras are still turned on and watching ALL-DAY-LONG.. all of the cameras? Or does that mean as soon as you turn a camera on whether it is recording or not, it is still using the FPS? To tell you the truth, I am probably going to only record motion when detected, BUT I may have 2 or 3 cameras hooked up at the same time, and I may want to view all of those cameras at once either locally or remotely through the internet. If I am viewing the cameras and NOT recording, is that still using FPS off the card? so for instance 2 cameras are being viewed over the internet, BUT NOT being recorded, am I still using 10 FPS per Camera to just view?

yes, I have noticed that the fps slows down when you add more cameras even when you are just viewing. There is a real-time display card available for the more expensive Geo cards which brings the displayed video up to full-motion per camera even though the recorded frame speed may be lower. AV Expert is really the authority on the Geo stuff.

I've uploaded some files to my web space.

They are about 1 minute long each, and recorded at 1fps, 3fps, 6fps, 10fps, and 16fps. I'm recording in PAL so the max frame rate is slower than the 20fps possible with NTSC. When you are ready to d/l them I'll send links to you so you can find them.

As regards the frame rate over the internet - I can view some demo sites in the US at around 6fps total. Sometimes it's less than 1fps. It depends on the speed of your connection, the servers connection, and other factors. I have a 512k ADSL.

hey Steve, thanks for recording stuff, yes you can send me the links through PM.

So you are saying that the FASTEST possible FPS rate through the internet is like 6fps? Even with like a T1 connection you don't think you can get more than 6 FPS??

I think you could probably get faster than 6fps depending on your connection speed, as long as the server can handle uploading it to the internet fast enough and there are no bottlenecks in between. I've sent you a link via e-mail to my streamed video. Instead of clicking on " 1 window " on the second screen, try clicking on "Multi-view". You'll automatically download a small program and then you should get a multiple display window open. Follow the login details that I've sent you by e-mail and when the camera view opens you should see what your fps is on the right hand side of the screen near the bottom. At least you'll have an idea then.....

okay so even if the video is being recorded or viewed locally by you at 16 FPS, you are saying that I may only be able to see the video over the internet at: 6 FPS?

What speed is the software indicating to me.. the speed I am seeing the streamed video at? or the speed at which you are locally viewing and recording the video at?

Great comment AV I noticed that was the best way as most DVR companies will hide teh limitations and boast the differences, the only true way is to make a checklist and cross each feature off as you read the manual.

If you want a laugh, the only reason GEO wont change the structure of their GUI is because they THINK it gives them industry recognition, the shame of it is they have the best software with the worst GUI and no plans to change it, they are fully capable too, because the new web interface looks cool, they just dont want to.