steve6690

Geovision webcam window

When I access my GV250 over the internet via the webcam feature, none of the selectable options display the correct text. All I am getting is "???".

For example when I click to change the "video quality" I get three options to select but I can't read what the options are as it just displays "???".

Can't find anything in the manual about this. Is there a setting I have missed or a patch I can install ??

http://81.86.129.112/lanmpegview0/htm

user and password leave blank.

Thanks

Steve

I just tried it and was able to read the options. Perhaps you are having problems with video memory on your receiving computer. Anyway the picture looks good and I was able to switch it to high resolution ok. Was that "Seven Samurai" on second camera? One of my all time favorites.

It worked fine for me, Usually though ??????'s mean that it can not recognise the language or a symbol that you may have used, I would check to see that you havent installed Geo in another language and I would download latest character support from Microsoft (internet explorer).

I would also check that Active X controls and Java are enabled in the internet explorer options and would make sure to be using Internet Explorer Version #5.

The other thing is your link is one section too far in, you should allow for choosing the connection mechanism as this will cache the files needed for connection, the first time you connect if you empty your cache you need to install a small file, maybe this has something to do with it as you are one screen too far in.

Lastly, if you are using a router let us know because it may be a port issue.

I know when connecting to Geo's demo's that I sometimes get ?????'s but I assumed that was alanguage issue and am pretty sure of that, if your computer cannot display chinese it will do that.

Lastly, version 6 is loaded over the top of the other versions, if you downloaded from Geo this it could be the Webcam section of the upgrade was chinese, that could have been you downloading the wrong one or Geo having the wrong one there. I think you can check that from the geomulti.ini file.

I would ask for a CD of Version 6 adn re install after removing all .INI files with teh word Geo as a prefix.

I hope this helped,

Yes, the film is "Seven" starring Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman. One of my favourites. I probably shouldn't really be streaming it over the internet........

I've installed the language pack and I'm still getting the same problem. Strangely though, when I view the Geovision demo site in Taiwan the characters are displayed correctly, but the UK Geovision demo site displays the "???" again on my PC. I'm still running ver 5.401 of the software and when I installed it I wasn't offered a choice of languages/regions but all the menus etc are in English.

Fixed it !!

I followed these steps from brevardsurveillance.com support pages.

"Another method is to check your browser webcam plug-in. Go to Explorer, please make sure it is version 5.5 and above, select "TOOL" menu, select "INTERNET OPTIONS", select "SETTINGS" button, and select "VIEW OBJECTS". Remove "WebcamX" or "LiveX control" plug-in and close all the Windows. Restart your Internet Browser again, and start up web cam. This will force the system to reload the latest version of "LiveX(5.4.0.0)Control" plug-in."

I think that the problem may have been caused because I didn't have the East Asian language support installed on my PC when I installed the Geovision software. Now that I have installed it, and re-installed the plug-in as above, everything is fine.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out.

Steve

I hate to admit that the Geo's Picture quality is really good.

The only thing that I don;t like is that it's only one camera at a time.

You kidding, one camera at a time!

The only reason that your seeing one camera at a time is because the link you were given was one page toofar in the process and you didnt get to choose try this:

http://81.86.129.112

Mind you he only has version 5.4.01 on that machine so the web cam can not do 32 or more cams it is limited to 16. Version 6 allows for plain web view or active x view and will download from the same log in an active x control program second to none.. you really should see version 6.

What would have been a nice touch:

You could have wired the I/O module to your DVD player so people could actually have controlled it, like press play or pick theri scene and with the listen in feature they could have listened to it.. would have been impressive, however it would lag a little on the audio only.

Seven is a great movie by the way... dont give people that link you used before because they will not download the small geo file if they miss the first page, the only reason it worked for me is I have connected to many 5.4 machines from this pc and have the file already.

The thing I like is that geo only makes you download that file or the active x once then next time, hey presto.. the new web cam looks ace.

[/url]

I just installed version 6 and I think it's great but now my system won't autostart when Windows starts. Ah well......gives me something to do I suppose.

As always there is bugs with the latest releases thats why I dont sell the latest softwrae untill it settles, I would imagine you have lots of old versions on that machine, I would try to remove all .INI files with the GEO prefix and then get the actual version 6 full version on CD and re install.

The one on the web has bugs!

Aha ! Fixed it. When I installed the new version, the final option was whether I wanted a shortcut added to the Start Bar. I selected "No" because there was already a shortcut on the bar to GV250. I've just re-installed the upgrade and selected "yes" for the Start Bar shortcut and that has rectified the problem.

I love the new features in V6.0, especially the multi-view webcam window.

I thought that was the issue!

Well done... Its amazing software, the only problem is supporting all the changes to all the people we sell it to.. so many changes means so many updates and so much support and as we do not charge for this service it becomes very time consuming.

We gave up on trying to update everyone. In fact we found it is just best to leave things alone unless someone specifically requests an update. It is something like that old saying "Let sleeping dogs lie" or "Don't fix it if it ain't broke". If the customer is happy with what he has we don't shake things up. Besides with hundreds of installed DVRs it would probably be an impossible job to keep up with all of them.

That is the one big fault of GeoVision, they want to sell to everyone, dvr makers, dealers, distributors, end users. I think they have hurt themselves by selling direct to too many people. Posting the software updates for anyone to download has also hurt them. I think that is one of the reasons they are having problems with bootleg cards. All you do is buy a bootleg card and get the free software. Anyone knows that the real value lies in the software not the card. They have a great product but have little or no knowledge about marketing the product.

Does like the geos GV-250 come with this software for free you are talking about?

Does GEO have the BEST software out of all the cards you guys have used/tested?

All the upgrades for Geovision are free, that is why it is so popular, there are better performance cards out there especially the onboard compression type, but for bang for bucks, it is hard to go past Geovision, mind you their marketing sucks.