jlpalaciosv

Geovision DVR Card using linux embedded

Hello Forum, I am looking for experiences about how to using Geovision DVR Card with Linux, instead of use windows, I saw a lot of dvr's with linux embedded but no one say how to do that, somebody have experiences or tips about this topic.

Thanks

Regards

JOSE LUIS PALACIOS VERGARA

Hi, there are no drivers for Linux. Not sure if you can get some kind of Emulation working, I have never tried it though and really never used Linux myself, but if someone does please let us know.

We do really need to move away from Windows at some point, Windows Vista is pretty much a disaster so something else has to be out there on the horizon, I would really wish that the DVR Card manufacturers are looking at alternative OS's now. We want something with the features of GeoVision, but something that doesnt require an OS like Windows Vista (eventually when XP is no more).

There on ebay are a lot of linux embedded dvr with geovision card, if exist the embedded linux then someone have running on hard disk with linux.

There on ebay are a lot of linux embedded dvr with geovision card, if exist the embedded linux then someone have running on hard disk with linux.

You may be able to find some generic drivers for the GFV250 as you can on Windows, but either way, GeoVision software does not work on Linux. At that point it would then be best to just use another card that has drivers and software for Linux.

Just because it is on Ebay does not mean it actually exists.

I think most software companies that start developing for linux will be using Ubuntu.

I don't believe you can run Geovision on any version of linux, even with wine.

I'm running geovision (GV650/800/900) in windows XP (not run in linux), but client (web) run in ubuntu using IE4Linux (Internet explorer over linux)

run OK.

instructions here:

www tatanka com br / ies4linux / page / Installation : Debian

Geovision Boards not run in linux without drivers.

Fernando Corvalan

Rosario - Argentina

If GV makes a version that will work on Unix I'm tattooing my ass with their ugly logo!

My first day back and I have to come back and have a mental picture of that..Oh man i need another stay at the mental Institution

Old thread but for anyone searching for information on this.

A more accurate statement is that the Geovision software does not run on linux. The hardware has no issue being recognized by linux kernels >2.6

I run a gv-800 on debian using zoneminder and it works beautifully. It is more versatile than the gv software because using the gv software, even the client needs to be running windows to view streams remotely due to active x controls and such. Zoneminder uses java and xhtml and runs on a normal webserver(apache) which is platform independent making it much more flexible. MySql is utilized as the back end. It also supports motion detection recording, PTZ controls and a host of other features. Definitely a viable solution on linux. Going to be experimenting with a gv-1240 next.

using the gv software, even the client needs to be running windows to view streams remotely due to active x controls and such.

not entirely

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/articles/browser-based-video-on-mac.asp

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/software/geovision-software/simplevuegeo.asp

But as for the card and linux, there are much cheaper cards, probably identical but without the Geo name on it. BTW the 1240 is a completely different card from the 800.

Geovision Cards actually do work in linux, I have a GV800 working on Ubuntu with Zoneminder. Getting it to work with embedded linux, I would like to hear more about that if anyone has had any luck.

I have a GV800 that i need operating on Linux. Zonefinder has the drivers included? Any other details about doing this that someone can share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

While I haven't tried a Geovision card in my machine, I have had a cheap generic running with Linux. Works s treat with Zoneminder. If anybody in these posts requires, I could try the Geovision card I have and let you have the results but cant see why it shouldn't. Hope this helps?

I can supply the PCB boards of DVR cards with our chip sets. We can supply device drivers. If anyone who is interested in making Linux based DVR cards and doing its business, please let me know.