squale

Can Geovision software or ANY software do this??

Okay well this is really what I want the software to be able to do. I have programs like WebCamXP, etc. that use ****ty old Logitech USB webcams or whatever to do motion detection, stream live video, etc...

but now I want to go with professional CCTV, and need to know if the softare can do this.. especially Geovision's cause that's probably who's card I am going to go with.

1.) Motion Detection where I can specify certain parts of the image to only respond to motion. Reason why is because I am going to mount the camera infront of my house, but it will pick up some of the road I live on. I don't want the motion detection to trigger on everytime a car passes by.. so I want to somehow mask the road so the road doesn't trigger motion detection. Now IF you can do this masking of certain parts of the image, is it only a square that you can draw for a specified area, or can you pretty much use like a pen tool and trace around the area you DON'T want the motion detection to look at?

2.) Now, one of the main reasons I am getting this outdoor setup is because I have a real problem with animals (like bear, birds, racoons, etc.) eating my garbage. Right now it is so cold outside that they aren't coming around, but when we hit April, they will be tearing apart my garbage again. So I where I am mounting the camera will be able to see where the garbage is that I put outside at night. Since I am getting a camera that will see in the dark, I will be able to set up motion detection around my garbage cans. Now what I want to do is when motion is detected, I want to somehow trigger an external program or command to run on my pc. Such as, I have X10 home automation stuff, and I want to plug a spotlight into one of my x10 outlets, but I want this spot light to turn on when the motion detection is triggered through the Geovision software. This spotlight will show on the garbage and hopefully scare the animals away. I know that with the X10 software you can go to the Start.. Run window in Windows 2000/XP and type a command like: x10_program.exe /turnon /light /#5

and this will turn on the spotlight. But what I need is for the Geovision software to actually execute this command in windows or be able to actually open up a third party piece of software to do this. I know the software can already email you on motion detection, but I need that to go further and be able to execute programs, etc.

3.) The other feature that would be nice and it sorta goes with the above motion detection is, when motion detection is detected, can it send a picture of small video to your cell phone. I am going to buy one of those new Verizon Wireless camera phones and I was wondering if there is a way for you to view your live video or recorded video on these phones. Or if not video, just at least some still shots when motion is detected. But in order to do this the software would have to be able to send the image to a cell phone or something.

Let me know if the Geovision or any other GOOD software that you know of can do these things.

Thanks

Geovision will do all of these for you except the Pen tool bit, you can edit blocks for motion detection but you can not draw it.

The two things that you would need are the GVNET for converting a 232 signal to 485 and the GVIO for connecting a sensor to so that the Geo can email you pics or turn on lights, it would also help to have the GVRELAY if your lights arent 12Volt.

It may seem stupid but why not just get sensor lights?

well lights just may not do it, I may set up some sort of small speaker outside to make a noise when the animals are there... sometimes lights don't scare bears off. So if I can trigger a sound, or trigger an event through my x10 system that would be great.

Basically what I need to know is if when motion is detected, can the Geovision software invoke a command that can start or stop an x10 device?

okay so on motion would the Geo software be able to run this command from the "Start... Run..." box in windows XP..

x10software.exe /turnonlight /1

you could do that, but it would work like this, closure of a circuit...detector or PE beam can email you make audible alert or activate any device through 485 or the other way around.. Software motion detection can activate anything as well.

I don't know what an 845 is.. is this another hardware piece I would have to get?

I don't want to have to buy any more hardware, etc., instead just want the Geovision software to run that command..

I do not think that the GeoVision software can initiate a software command to run another program on the computer. What expert is referring to is the ability to trip relays for outboard systems.

yeah see I don't have any relays, etc... and don't want to do down that path.. I want to somehow trigger events through my X10 software... and I'm wondering how I can do this..

Am I correct by saying that you can't modify the web interface or built your own web interface off of the Geo software?'

can you give me a list of things you can do with motion is detected through the software? like what things can the software do.. WITHOUT using outboard relays, etc?

Here is a link to the download section of GeoVision. Near the bottom of the page is a place to download the version 6.0 manual. It is fairly comprehensive and could answer several of your questions. You might want to take a look at it and see what answers it can provide regarding some of the programming options that you want to do.

http://www.geovision.com.tw/002/en/download.asp

Softwrae motion detection can trigger:

An email with pictures.

a telphone call with recorder voice.

A pre set camera PTZ position

An audible alarm

Recording

Sending video to another location for storage.

pop up of video in full screen mode

Our output to the GV relay box (not expensive and easy to set up) the box connects to your com port or 232 trough a converter.

It means anything canbe hard wired to turn on our off from softwrae motion or the other way around ....hadware to software, as far as starting another process, you could cheat and make the apps, that run when motion is detected like sending the remote video activate another command simply by enetring your softwrae as ths .exex file name.. i think yuo would ven be able to change it in the INI file to run your program, however I haven't looked closely at how it integrates.

As far as the web interface goes it is just Java HTML and Active X so modification is simple