sa3ad

Geovision dvr card not working on win 8 RP !

my sys win8 64bits , x79-ud3 , I-7 3820 , GTX 550 ti , 8giga of ram @1600 , no OCing

tried to install geovision gv 800 pci-e on a win 8 64 bits with no lock ( was working perfect on win 7 32 bits & 64 bits ) , when start geovision software it gives me "can't find keypro"

drivers are installed correctly , tried compatibility mode , any idea how to work around this issue ?

well I know GV works on 7 but never saw it working on 8. their web site doesn't mention support for 8 either that's what makes me think it won't work.

not sure why anyone would try to use hardware/software for an OS that is

-not 100% released/launched

-not supported by geovision (at this time)

and what is bothering you ?

and what is bothering you ?

nothing at all

just giving my opinion.

has geovision announced that their cards are compatible with a non released OS? if they have, my apologies, i hope someone can help you ad i hope that you find an issue for your problem.

good luck.

Chill out, dude - the others are right: there's no reason to ASSUME it should work with Win8 until such time as GV actually provides Win8 drivers for it.

It's often be possible to "massage" (or sometimes "beat into submission") drivers for an older version of Windows to work with a newer version... but it's certainly never guaranteed. I've used XP drivers for an old video card and got them working fine with Win7... I've also tried Vista drivers under Win7 for an older audio chipset and had it "kinda" work (with plenty of glitches)... and had TONS of other old hardware that simply wouldn't work at all.

The proper EXPECTATION is that until GV releases actual drivers for Win8, their hardware probably won't work with Win8.

Same holds true of any other OS as well. The driver is what allows the OS to directly talk to the hardware - if it's not specifically designed for that OS, there's no certainty that the communication will be understood.

I've done it all the time throughout the years - not with CCTV, but in general. Whenever Microsoft makes a preview available I always try it out. It's a necessity in the IT field to be educated on new technologies that are coming out. The education needs to start well before the final version hits the streets.

I've done it all the time throughout the years - not with CCTV, but in general. Whenever Microsoft makes a preview available I always try it out. It's a necessity in the IT field to be educated on new technologies that are coming out. The education needs to start well before the final version hits the streets.

Agreed, but by the same token, it's silly to ASSUME that just because something (especially hardware) worked in a previous version, it's going to work fine in the new version right off the hop.

sure (in general), just not in this case, i would never take a working geovision card and attempt to use it in an unreleased OS. we are talking about a specific scenario.

what are the benefits of taking a working system/card and trying to use it on windows 8?

i have a geovision camera system at a business that has been running solid on windows xp for 5+ years. you think it is a good idea for me to wipe that system to try to get it to work with windows 8?

the system should only be recording camera feeds and nothing else, which is why i am trying to figure out what the benefits of upgrading the OS are.

Agreed, but by the same token, it's silly to ASSUME that just because something (especially hardware) worked in a previous version, it's going to work fine in the new version right off the hop.

exactly, but more specifically, what would the benefits be of having geovision in a win 8 environment? the program would run the exact same way, if it did work, as it does in previous versions of windows.

exactly, but more specifically, what would the benefits be of having geovision in a win 8 environment? the program would run the exact same way, if it did work, as it does in previous versions of windows.

Well, as groovyman notes, from an administrator's perspective, there's always benefit to figuring out what will and won't work, just because you don't know what you're going to run into.

But you're right, until GV comes up with some software features that specifically takes advantage of something Win8 provides, there's little point in getting too excited about it. GV will still run fine on Win7 *or* XP, and a DVR should *ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS* be run on a dedicated system, so even on a new machine that comes with Win8, there's no excuse to not just blow it away and start clean. As it is now, the only advantage Win7 has over XP is the ability to use >4GB RAM (and that, only with Win7x x64)... and I have yet to see a compelling case for needing >4GB RAM in a DVR in the first place (matter of fact, I have old Vigil boxes out in the field still running happily on W2K and 512MB RAM).

And of course, there NO cause to get so worked up about something NOT working in a pre-release OS when there's no official support for that OS. New OS, not on the market, and hardware that has no manufacturer support for that OS yet... again, it's the EXPECTATION that it WON'T work.

Well, as groovyman notes, from an administrator's perspective, there's always benefit to figuring out what will and won't work, just because you don't know what you're going to run into.

But you're right, until GV comes up with some software features that specifically takes advantage of something Win8 provides, there's little point in getting too excited about it. GV will still run fine on Win7 *or* XP, and a DVR should *ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS* be run on a dedicated system, so even on a new machine that comes with Win8, there's no excuse to not just blow it away and start clean. As it is now, the only advantage Win7 has over XP is the ability to use >4GB RAM (and that, only with Win7x x64)... and I have yet to see a compelling case for needing >4GB RAM in a DVR in the first place (matter of fact, I have old Vigil boxes out in the field still running happily on W2K and 512MB RAM).

And of course, there NO cause to get so worked up about something NOT working in a pre-release OS when there's no official support for that OS. New OS, not on the market, and hardware that has no manufacturer support for that OS yet... again, it's the EXPECTATION that it WON'T work.

right i agree. from an IT/administrator perspective, figuring out the bugs is critical, but there has to be a reason/need for it (in my opinion, in order for me to spend time on it). if it is an application that my co-workers need then absolutely start testing. but for a DVR system that records video....if it aint broke, dont fix it.

sure (in general), just not in this case, i would never take a working geovision card and attempt to use it in an unreleased OS. we are talking about a specific scenario.

what are the benefits of taking a working system/card and trying to use it on windows 8?

i have a geovision camera system at a business that has been running solid on windows xp for 5+ years. you think it is a good idea for me to wipe that system to try to get it to work with windows 8?

the system should only be recording camera feeds and nothing else, which is why i am trying to figure out what the benefits of upgrading the OS are.

The specific scenario is the OP wanting to see if hid card works in Win8. Nothing wrong with that. As he stated it worked in previous releases. I think it's obvious that a change was made to Win8 in its current release and the OP is looking for advice on a workaround (which nobody can seem to offer, including me).

What are the benefits of trying to use the card in Win8? All depends on your point of view. In my opinion it's the satisfaction one gets when getting it to work. I find it's alot of fun to tinker around with things. In my IT career I learned more by tinkering around and trying different things than I ever did in a classroom or from a book. I like to get in there and get my hands dirty, so to speak. My motto: if it don't fit, force it (just a joke - not to be taken seriously or out of context).

Now, I think it's ridiculous and downright irresponsible to experiment in a production environment, whether it's a surveillance system or any other type of system. But, in a test environment do what ever you want, learn and have fun doing it

The specific scenario is the OP wanting to see if hid card works in Win8. Nothing wrong with that. As he stated it worked in previous releases. I think it's obvious that a change was made to Win8 in its current release and the OP is looking for advice on a workaround (which nobody can seem to offer, including me).

What are the benefits of trying to use the card in Win8? All depends on your point of view. In my opinion it's the satisfaction one gets when getting it to work. I find it's alot of fun to tinker around with things. In my IT career I learned more by tinkering around and trying different things than I ever did in a classroom or from a book. I like to get in there and get my hands dirty, so to speak. My motto: if it don't fit, force it (just a joke - not to be taken seriously or out of context).

Now, I think it's ridiculous and downright irresponsible to experiment in a production environment, whether it's a surveillance system or any other type of system. But, in a test environment do what ever you want, learn and have fun doing it

i dont know more info about the OP or his setup, i guess i should have asked that before i made my comment.

i use geovision cards at work. we probably have about 15 DVRs spread out throughout or company properties. i dont have a spare geovision card to use for testing. i suppose if the OP does, then it is a different story. i would never take a production system and try to get windows 8 to run on it. i am not saying the OP is doing that, just stating my opinion.

i dont have a spare geovision card to use for testing. i suppose if the OP does, then it is a different story. i would never take a production system and try to get windows 8 to run on it. i am not saying the OP is doing that, just stating my opinion.

Actually, he might be. "was working perfect on win 7 32 bits & 64 bits"

But, we don't know if he updated that system to Win8, if it's a different box, what the environment is, etc., etc., etc.

I'm not surprised that it would break with a newer build, actually - it's quite possible that some of the the underlying structure GV uses was carried over from Win7 up until this build, and now they've changed that component, it doesn't work any more.

Hello,

Well, i think you just try or probably be on your own. And If you want to play with it on W8..

Thanks,

some of us are just tinkerers, we don't necessarily need a "benefit" to try something out. and from our tinkering we usually end up knowing more about the stuff, and have a better running setup than those who would "never install on an OS that isn't supported"

that aside, I think it will be great to have win8. I picked up some 17" lcd touchscreen monitors awhile back off CL for $50 ea, and most of the touchscreen software and drivers out there are 10-15 years old, hopefully windows 8 will bring some better touch drivers and software. if not from microsoft itself, maybe from software or hardware companies making gear to be used with win8. it's nice to only need the monitor for the dvr, this way I am able to put the dvr up on a shelf and just mount one of the touchscreens on the wall by the door in each location. I found the fingerprint scanners for $20 ea online, so to log on (just like a lenovo laptop) you just swipe your finger, and control the dvr from the lcd.

some of us are just tinkerers, we don't necessarily need a "benefit" to try something out. and from our tinkering we usually end up knowing more about the stuff, and have a better running setup than those who would "never install on an OS that isn't supported"

that aside, I think it will be great to have win8. I picked up some 17" lcd touchscreen monitors awhile back off CL for $50 ea, and most of the touchscreen software and drivers out there are 10-15 years old, hopefully windows 8 will bring some better touch drivers and software. if not from microsoft itself, maybe from software or hardware companies making gear to be used with win8. it's nice to only need the monitor for the dvr, this way I am able to put the dvr up on a shelf and just mount one of the touchscreens on the wall by the door in each location. I found the fingerprint scanners for $20 ea online, so to log on (just like a lenovo laptop) you just swipe your finger, and control the dvr from the lcd.

nobody is saying not to tinker, but i think the overall consensus is that if this is a live/production DVR then it isn't really a good idea to implement an OS that isn't supported.