View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Geovision GPU Decoding
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:59 am 

You need to be running more than 40 5MP cameras for nvidia decoding to be worthwhile.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:30 pm 

kamicrazy wrote:
You need to be running more than 40 5MP cameras for nvidia decoding to be worthwhile.

In my experience this depends on the software you use quite a bit. I know with my particular system where I constantly monitor Nvidia GPU and Intel GPU loads with GPU meters, I would easily see a gain with Nvidia cards doing more of the work. With Milestone Xprotect and only 6 cams at 30 fps all 1080 or less streams, the Intel GPU averages 50% load while the display monitor averages 10% of the current Nvidia GPU (rendering only) and that's only on a 1080p TV set. If I were to double that number of cams, my Intel GPU (HD 530 on an Intel I7-6700k) would be close to 100%. It's not good to always run processors at maximum load. Now, if I were to upgrade any of these to 4K cameras at 3840x2160 resolutions, that could really take another bite out of this setup.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:38 am 

My comment was in relation to Geovision software only based on scalability information direct from Geovision.

This video is where I got my info from and it explains everything. A bit further on from where I linked it also compares Geovision with Milestone GPU decoding.

https://youtu.be/d74yR-e0vFc?t=1523

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:51 pm 

kamicrazy wrote:
My comment was in relation to Geovision software only based on scalability information direct from Geovision.

This video is where I got my info from and it explains everything. A bit further on from where I linked it also compares Geovision with Milestone GPU decoding.

https://youtu.be/d74yR-e0vFc?t=1523

Nice video. It mentions in the video for maximum performance you'll want to use both Intel and Nvidia GPU's. Noticed some of the settings they are using VBR instead of CBR. Still seems overly optimistic for what you get in the real world however. You can always use more GPU power for these streams. A single 4K stream can sometimes bring a system to its knees if it's not new and powerful enough. Then when you add multiple monitors and especially multiple 4k monitors viewing multiple 4k streams, you really start to see things bogging down. Currently I have to use both Intel and Nvidia GPU's. Before I switched from GV-VMS 15 to Xprotect 2016 r2, I was seeing some high CPU and GPU with GV-VMS. I did not notice the large differences in GPU decoding that they say can be expected.

I was getting pretty much the same consistent cpu and gpu utilization from both VMS's. But with Geo, it was hard to determine the actual framerates because as far as I know they can only be displayed on the web client. With Xprotect there is a realtime option to display fps of each stream on the main system.

Good to see Geovision is still trying to compete. They actually beat Xprotect with Nvidia GPU decoding which was nice. Still waiting for Xprotect to add it to their product, but for all other aspects, Xprotect is miles ahead of Geo unfortunately. I used Geovision for 15 years but due to the recent debacle in the way they handled upgrades of GV-NVR to GV-VMS, I finally decided to move away from Geo and move over to Milestone. Much more flexibility with the Xprotect products.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:09 am 

I only use GV-VMS because I only have Geovision cameras. I like not having to pay for software updates.

If I had to pay for software I would probably go with something else. However free support and free software updates is real nice and not something many people factor when speccing a system. I started my box on windows 7 and now running windows 10 anniversary update. Through each windows release (7 -> 8 -> 8.1 -> 10 -> 1511 -> 1607) I've upgraded from GV-NVR to GV-VMS for free.

75% of my cameras are fisheye too. Bit of a pain to license them with other products to get the same functionality, although maybe that is not the case now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:54 pm 

kamicrazy wrote:
I only use GV-VMS because I only have Geovision cameras. I like not having to pay for software updates.

If I had to pay for software I would probably go with something else. However free support and free software updates is real nice and not something many people factor when speccing a system. I started my box on windows 7 and now running windows 10 anniversary update. Through each windows release (7 -> 8 -> 8.1 -> 10 -> 1511 -> 1607) I've upgraded from GV-NVR to GV-VMS for free.

75% of my cameras are fisheye too. Bit of a pain to license them with other products to get the same functionality, although maybe that is not the case now.

Yeah, GV-VMS is free for Geo cameras. If you only have Geo cams, it's the best solution hands down.

I only use non-Geo cameras and for that you have to purchase the GV-VMS 3rd Party camera licenses and that is where the problem lies because of the way Geo handles the upgrades from GV-NVR to GV-VMS for 3rd Party Cameras.

I used to own Geo hardware (GV-650 capture card) so I started using Geo software. Then I migrated to GV-NVR for IP cameras.

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2