qsomers

geovision gv-1480 cards

I bought 3 geo gv-1480 16ch pci cards about 3 or 4 yrs ago after asking people's opinions on here, and they were great. They were in use at a business my family owns, and I did their IT and techy stuff. About year later they signed a contract with some company to handle their IT/PC's, so the cards were removed, and a standalone dvr was installed. I'm looking to get rid of it because it for some reason uses IDE drives even tho its 3yrs old, so Ive installed one of the cards in a newer pc I had (~3ghz core i5, intel chipset) and the software says "Can't Find USB Protection Key" "The device driver may be lost or it has not been installed!" I never needed a usb key, this is being used with wired cameras, not network ip cameras. Is this a windows 7 thing? I did my research, and installed 32 bit. Another thing I notice is it says "PCI Device" in the unknown category in my device manager, but up in the DVR category the 1480 is there. This mobo only has 1 pci slot, so it must be talking about that, right? I know these aren't fake, I bought them from a company that advertised on this board 4 years ago. It's really important I get at least 1 up and running. I notice there is an IDE plug on the top of the card, but I don't think I ever used it before, is there a separate driver for that or another function of the card? The other cards (audio / rs485 / IO) dont even attach to the mobo, they just hang and need power. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: I have tried all 3 cards, and that error pops up when I try to open control center with each card, they couldn't all be bad?

how do you connect an IDE cable to power? I got them to work, apparently "control center" isn't the dvr software. I installed another folder and it put multicam on there, that's where the cameras are. It doesn't look like what I remember, so I'm still not 100% sure if this is the right thing, there isn't a record button, just the motion detect to start recording is all I've found so far. At least I was able to see the cards still work. I'm only going to use 1 so maybe I can barter the other stuff away.

how do you connect an IDE cable to power? I got them to work, apparently "control center" isn't the dvr software. I installed another folder and it put multicam on there, that's where the cameras are. It doesn't look like what I remember, so I'm still not 100% sure if this is the right thing, there isn't a record button, just the motion detect to start recording is all I've found so far. At least I was able to see the cards still work. I'm only going to use 1 so maybe I can barter the other stuff away.

i don't think he was telling you to connect the molex power to IDE. i don't recall any cards i have worked with having a molex connector, but i am not a geovision expert, so maybe he can elaborate on that.

you should have a CD with all the geovision software (comes with the card) and that CD contains the GV DVR software plus additional software that isn't needed, but can be installed on the main DVR system or other client computers (on that network or elsewhere) to connect back to the main site and view the camera feeds.

do you have this CD?

The Geovision card you put into the computer needs a power connector (normaly called a molex connector) plugged into it. After that, install the drivers on the CD. The card should show up in the device manager as a dvr card.

Without power, it won't see it.

The new GV1480B cards don't need the power connector anymore but must have a 4X pci e slot or larger.

ive noticed since I originally posted here that 1 of the cards is a 1240 12ch, one is a 1480 16ch, and one is a 1240 16ch. they are all the same except for a little sticker on one of the IC's at the bottom right corner. They all work fine without any additional power. I noticed they do have a 2 pin pc fan style connector up toward the output plate. what does that ide connector do? Do you hook it to a hard drive or to the motherboard? I don't even know if I have any IDE drives anymore. There is also that same Ide style connector on the back but it has half the amount of pins and is half as wide. I heard originally when I bought them there was a way to bridge cards together to get 24 or 36 channels in 1 pc, is that what these are for?