gguerra

New DVR System Freezing (My Specs OK?)

I am just setting up a new DVR system and it keeps freezing up on me

Specs as follows

Dell Optiplex 9010 (Intel Q77 Express Chipset)

Core I5 3.4 Ghz

4GB RAM (1800 Mhz) Non ECC

AMD Radeon HD 7570 1GB

Windows 7 64 Bit

Geovision GV1480B (16 ch)

System runs OK but when left idle will freeze up. Can run a couple of hours or only 20 minutes. Random freeze ups.

Took DVR card out and no freezes (so far for a couple of hours)

Could there be an incompatibility with the Mobo? Video card? or Windows 7 64?

Anyone?

Thanks

Brand new card. Box was sealed as was the software, card, cables, the IP camera that came with it.

OK Read the section on counterfeit detection which contains the following

Pirated cards with a v8.0: Black screen followed by video loss and continuous fake-GeoVision software restarts.

Pirated cards with a v7.05: “Can't find USB protection key for new system” message followed by no video screen.

Pirated cards with v7.05 “mutation”: Due to technology limitations of the pirated product, counterfeit card sellers made a v7.05 “mutation” to run on older driver versions but still claim it as v7.05. The v7.05 “mutation” does NOT contain functions GeoVision intends to deliver to our customers (while all genuine card users are able to use an updated driver version for v7.05 for full features). There are also various additional problems related to the v7.05 “mutation”.

Ok, on the first two, none of these messages show up on the screen. I am a little vague on the third one. What is a v7.05 mutation??

The card was purchased through ebay here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221153416741?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It states

This is 100% GENUINE GeoVision Product

The one pictured is exactly the one I got.. The seller has a high rating. I read some of their reviews for sales of other Geovision cards and they are all favorable. The card certainly looks legit. that card has 4 chips on it with the Geovision logo, although that can be faked. The packaging looks totally legit as does the software and manual.

No holographic decal on either the card or the DVD but it is the latest version (I believe, v8.5.5.0) but there is a Geovision logo and a "Made in Taiwan"

The QC date and serial number stickers look legit

This card does not appear to have an oscillator

It also matches the picture of the card on Geovision's web site here

212760_1.jpg

Pretty sure it's legit

Hi. Never listen to ebay sellers .......... But looking at your card you have too geo parts missing first is the hologram and the other is the serial number which should be on the right hand side.

GEO does not sell without these markings.

Hologram is also on box and software disk.

You are best contacting geo to find if your card is legit....... And start from there.

You need the serial number for updates from there site. And to also get any help from them

I'm not a fake-Geo expert. I just know what's in that article. Maybe an email to Geovision or a legit authorized reseller with some pictures might resolve the question, but the lack of hologram is a bad sign.

You using the GPU to help decode? If so, it is recommended by Geovision to have 8gb when using a 64bit operating system like you are and you've got 4gb installed. Also, do you have a monitor connected to the built-in VGA port? You've got a Radeon card in that machine. Having a monitor connected to the built-in VGA port (not the one on the Radeon) is required to activate the GPU-assisted decoding. After those issues I'm down to maybe bad grounds and/or a weak power supply. Your mobo and OS is supported. I haven't a clue about what aftermarket videocards work reliably with Geovision cards. Maybe removing the aftermarket card would help if it's not required?

Hi. Never listen to ebay sellers .......... But looking at your card you have too geo parts missing first is the hologram and the other is the serial number which should be on the right hand side.

GEO does not sell without these markings.

Hologram is also on box and software disk.

You are best contacting geo to find if your card is legit....... And start from there.

You need the serial number for updates from there site. And to also get any help from them

As I stated, I copied and pasted the image above directly from Geo web site. Matches what I have.. Here is the page

http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/Prod_GV1480B.asp

The serial number and QC sticker with a date is on reverse side. The Yellow QC sticker is on the front of the card , left side just like the pic. I am fairly confident it is legit. I will try without the GPU and use on board graphics.

hologram ???

all geo have it............. on card also box and CD

you paid $800 ......... check with geo with your serial number

Is there a Hologram on the card in the picture?? That is DIRECT from Geovision. I will contact them

No but geo don't use pics with hologram in ..............ebay users will use it ............but if buying geo holograms is the first thing you look for

You never bought DIRECT yours is ebay

I don't think a picture off a a web site is good enough to produce your own holograms.. But anyway, while we argue whether the card is real or not I removed the HD radeon from the Dell, using onboard graphics.. No freeze. Everything OK (so far)

I emailed the vendor.. The card I bought is the GV-1480B (Not A).. According to them the A card has the hologram, the B no longer has it

This was their response..

Hi.

This is 100% genuine card . Counterfeit cards can't install the latest Geovision Software. and plus Each card or Cam has own Serial number.

Geovision not longer use holograms on the card. box. dvd. it was appear on A Card. however once they upgrade to B Card, everything changed .

if you have any questions please let me know

Thanks

Steve

- ezdiyworldllc

I contacted Geovision (USAVision) chat and this was the conversation

[will] Hello,, I bought a GV-1480.. I need to check if it is a genuine card.. Serial # is 000012265467

[Eric]

Hi will,

Welcome to GeoVision/USAVision Systems live support, my name is Eric. Please give me a moment to review your question.

[Eric] Just a second as I check.

[Eric] Yes this is a genuine card. The barcode is valid.

[will] Thanks, one more question.. It does NOT have any holograms on it, have they stopped using them for all cards? or just this card?

[Eric] Checking.

[Eric] All new cards have holograms on them, yet the old cards do not.

[will] OK, thanks... Bye

So it seems not ALL geo cards have the hologram.. It is right from the horse's mouth

So can we move on to the problem in the OP please..

I removed the add-on card (AMD Radeon HD 7570).. System was freezing..Removed it, using the on board graphics.. NO freezing.. It seems it works fine (for now).. What is the advantage of using the graphics card compared to on-board graphics. Is it to relieve some of the load on the CPU?

For gaming, 3D rendering, etc, a discrete graphics card like your Radeon will display a much higher framerate and smoother more complex graphics at higher resolutions than a slower built-in chip. This doesn't apply to 2D graphics because the math needed isn't nearly as complex. The Radeon is basically just a wickedly quick math processor used to calculate 3D models many many times per second. The onboard Intel GPU (graphics processing unit) does the same thing but is slower for games. Your Geovision card can use the built-in Intel GPU to help with the math needed for the CCTV video streams and ONLY uses the built-in GPU for that. Too many variables when using something other than the known quantity (Intel). Video drivers for 3D cards can also seem like voodoo with regards to what they're compatible with and different driver revisions can change things randomly as well. That system doesn't NEED the Radeon for the CCTV and just adds complexity, cost, power draw, and heat to the system. The Geovision cards are designed to run with the onboard video and have a concrete list of chipsets and integrated GPUs that they work with. Radeons etc are basically only needed for a better gaming experience. When in doubt yank it out. I hope that's your problem and everything works smoothly from here on out. Good luck.

OK, looks like I bought a GPU for nothing.. I will find another use for it.. I think it was like an additional $75 when I bought the system. This will be a dedicated DVR for a business and may eventually run all 16 cameras. That is it, no games, no sophisticated graphics, no 3d rendering.. Thanks for the info.

Anytime. Just remember that there's a setting somewhere in your software to use the Intel GPU to help the CPU with the math for the Geovision. That feature requires a monitor connected to the motherboard's VGA connector to activate. That'll drop your CPU use down (or at least speed things up a bit at the same CPU load) but when using that option Geovision recommends 8gb of RAM with your 64 bit operating system IIRC. There's a chart showing the varying system requirements somewhere near the front in your 8.5.5 software manual.