Robert Oaks

Problem with Geo600 card installation

After installing the Geo600 software I get the message "Can't find keypro". Can someone offer me some help on this problem? Thank you.

Steve6690...

This site mentions having ALL cameras connected to card before software installation. Says nothing about this in Version 6 Manual.

Do the cameras have to be powered on ????

Perhaps this is why my GV-600-4 is playing up.

To my glitch list I can now add :

Ghost video logs which have resisted all attempts at deletion.

Backup manager says 'no logs' yet Video log viewer is still showing

the files ( tick boxes are simply showing '?' and the files won't play ).

Tried deleting them directly from the separate drive partition but still no luck.

The FAQ section at the main Geovision site is not worth a squirt of piss.

To think that I was silly enough to believe that few questions=few problems.

Thank heavens for the XP restore points.

Looks like it's 'start from square 1' time.

I am very firmly of the view that manuals should be written for

people who DON'T know anything about computers or at the very least have

2 versions of manuals available .

Is there a Geovision DVR For Dummies ????

Firstly, Using system restore will cause corrupted files, that cause your question marks, the Index gets stuffed if you keep changing the dates all the time.

Secondly, you need to format that partition that you are writing to ...and not a quick format option... you have corruption and it will cause you problems untill you get rid of it.

Thirdly, after you format the partition you need to re map it and run the database repair Utility.. otherwise you still have corruptions, their are Geo options without the hassles, you could buy a built machine form someone.

Lastly, the system will reboot if you do not turn off the cameras that arent connected, this must be done in two places and the ports must be limited... this is not a flaw... this is because it is looking for the cameras that you are telling it are connected.....I dont think there is much wrong with your system other than corrupted AVI files.

If this was my only option then I would have certainly considered it.

As it is however retailers are too easily prepared to sell a Geovision DVR card off the shelf with the 'inference' that all will be well.

I wasn't even asked about my PC configuration.

If this retailer thinks I will return to buy a ready made system then he is very sadly mistaken.

For the relatively miserable price of a motherboard it would make sense

to sell a compatible 'bundle' ( M'bd , Graphics Card & DVR card )

BTW

The AVI files must have become corrupted during 'normal' operation.

I had not used system restore yet ( and still haven't ).

The database repair utility seemed to do the trick with the video log.

I still get 2 frozen panels in the quad view.

Apologies Robert but this input may be of use to you later.

If you are getting two pictures of 4 frozen it is probably a Video Card issue?

You can not use onboard Video with Geovision and to use AGP you must disable the onbaord graphics chip or to be sure, use a mainboard that does not have one....Do not use SIS or VIA?

If you take a screen shot and send it to me then I will take a look. It could be that you actually have a crook card though.

The database repair tool, does not repair corrupted AVI files, it just makes the index TRY to ignore them, therefore you probably still have corrupted files.

The AVI repair tool does fix this problem.....also you may want to note that if you upgraded your software you should have cleared the logs...especially on version 6.

To check for corruption... go to the video folder where your files are kept...open each camera folder and check the dates... if the folders you see in the camera folder run in order (they are in date order) and there arent really old ones or ones that are out of sequence then you are probably ok.

If they aren't in order then they are probably containing corrupted data... if you open this folder with the old date and there are only a few files.. then they probably wont play in windows media player if they are corrupted...remember though if you delete them, then run the Repair Data Base Tool to repair the index.... Because it takes so long to check each one, there is an alternative....Open the video folder...click the camera folder...then at the top of the tool bar, change your view to thumbnail view...if the files are ok inside each date folder then you will see the folder change to show a small picture inside the folder as a preview, if they do not change then you probably have corrupted files.

Yes they are often caused in normal operation... and this goes FOR ALL DVR devices that are not behind a UPS device that communicates with the PC for shutdown....and before you say you have one,...does yours have Buck and Boost... you see power will drop or sag and if your UPS is not INLINE or does not have Buck or Boost then you can easily corrupt an AVI.

The reason Builders of machines charge more is because of this Knowledge and they need to provide support.... Also what are the cams that play up... disconnect those two and switch two working ones to those ports....but make sure to remove them form a single power supply if used on their own... you see DVR is 1.1V Peak to Peak where standard monitors only need 1V peak to peak.....and cheaper cams sometimes do not cut the grade...or cameras on long runs...It may be signal problem...But my guess it is one faulty chip or badly loaded softwrae without direct x 9 ..which number ports are playing up?

I hope this helped,

Problem was entirely to do with Direct X.

Uninstalled Geo software , formatted video storage partition, installed Direct X 9 , reinstalled Geo software and full ( glitch free ) steam ahead.

Thanks for the input guys.

BTW This Direct X thing wasn't mentioned in the manual.

I think it is only necessary if you use a video card that does nto have it as part of its default software....What video card did you use...be carefull not oo turn on video overlay for fullscreen or rendering if your video card does not support it.

AGP

Gainward Geforce 4 powerpack

Model pro/600-8X TV

64MB DDR

BTW Did you say not to turn on Full Screen ?

For some reason I no longer have that option.

You will probably find that geo has turned it off because it knows your video card does not support direct draw overlay rendering.....or you have the wrong driver, check the manual on the video card, you proabably have a card thsat does not support it... you can enable the fullscreen.. (direct draw) in the system configure menu then you can choose it from the front screen...but only if your card supports it.. sorru but I have never tried that brand of Geforce 4..it should have it if it is a PRO version.

It may well be that the card does do it... you need to turn on the function under the system configure... it is above or below the de-interlace renderer.. It may be possible that the guy who sold it to you uses a different driver?

Or it may just be that I am a loud mouthed know it all...

DVR Expert wrote:

Yes they are often caused in normal operation... and this goes FOR ALL DVR devices that are not behind a UPS device that communicates with the PC for shutdown....and before you say you have one,...does yours have Buck and Boost... you see power will drop or sag and if your UPS is not INLINE or does not have Buck or Boost then you can easily corrupt an AVI.

What is Buck and Boost? is a feature in the UPS device?

Thanks

DVR Expert wrote:

What is Buck and Boost? is a feature in the UPS device?

Thanks

I think he may be talking about a line conditioner or voltage regulator, cant live without them down here as our power is terrible, low voltage hits every hour or more. Ive never used a UPS and never had a problem, because i always use a line conditioner, in fact, this is the same one I have had since 1996 and it hasnt failed yet!

Thirdly, after you format the partition you need to re map it and run the database repair Utility.

what does "Re map" mean, also is the database repair utility part of geovision. Usually i just format the HDD with NTFS install geovision on C: and start recording on the second partition, are you saying before i start recording i should run the database repair utility on the partition? Cheers

Because most fast DVR products store an amount in memory before closing the AVI file corruption can happen if something happens to windows causing an abnormal shutdown, some of the newer motherbaoards have a feature that is designed to turn a machine off if undervoltage is found.

There are many different types of UPS and 5 different power problems you can have, one of the most common is undervoltage or SAG, some opf the cheaper UPS devices have a feature that will up the voltage to support you when you have under voltage, this is called Boosting up or Bucking up, the others just allow it topass the undervoltage through, the cheaper UPS devices ...even the ones with Buck and Boost, have to change the power in order to do this, this means ..well not exactly... that you rely on the mains power and they do not switch over untill they need to, the problem with this is that it takes a small amount of time for it to switch and this can lead to problems, having a fully functional UPS is unfortunately expensive so Buck and Boost is a good feature but not as good as fully featured UPS with support for all power problems.

what does "Re map" mean. Usually i just format the HDD with NTFS install geovision on C: and start recording on the second partition, are you saying before i start recording i should run the database repair utility on the partition? what about defragmenting? anyone? Cheers