milkisbad

Do I actually need a geovision card? For GV IP cameras

Since the cameras have built-in web server and can be accessed online by itself, do I actually need a geovision card?

Or is a card needed with the compression/recording/playback process? Instead of the compression happening at the camera, it happens at the card?

On a similar note, are NVRs not needed if I can just wire my IP cameras to a network attached storage for recording? I guess one advantage of the GV card and NVR is that it ties in all the cameras together and lets you see on one screen, rather than accessing them separately? But with a CMS software you can add them all together too right?

Sorry its alot of questions...

Hello

You don't need Dvr Card for Ip camera you do need pc to rescord unless you are go to record to a sd card that a lot geovision ip camera Have

Since the cameras have built-in web server and can be accessed online by itself, do I actually need a geovision card?

Or is a card needed with the compression/recording/playback process? Instead of the compression happening at the camera, it happens at the card?

On a similar note, are NVRs not needed if I can just wire my IP cameras to a network attached storage for recording? I guess one advantage of the GV card and NVR is that it ties in all the cameras together and lets you see on one screen, rather than accessing them separately? But with a CMS software you can add them all together too right?

Sorry its alot of questions...

it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

you cant run the geovision software w/o the card (unless something changed in the last few years, that is the last time i bought a new card).

correct, the NVR is not needed if you are going to save to a NAS or some other network storage, but not all IP cams are compatible with NAS units and all CMS software, as long as you research that ahead of time you should be ok.

"Since the cameras have built-in web server and can be accessed online by itself, do I actually need a geovision card? "

No! You only need a card if you want to use analog cameras. For an IP only system, no card is needed!

you cant run the geovision software w/o the card (unless something changed in the last few years, that is the last time i bought a new card).

This is incorrect. Geovision NVR software will happily run without a DVR card (since it's designed to and has done for the past 8+ years).

OP - Yes, you can install Geovision NVR software and run your Geovision IP cameras without need for a license dongle or DVR card (why they still use dongles I have no idea). However, if you want to use no GV products then you will need to purchase some licenses. None of the associated programs (playback etc) need a license to run, irrespective which cameras you use, but of course these are effectively useless without GV-NVR.

This is incorrect. Geovision NVR software will happily run without a DVR card (since it's designed to and has done for the past 8+ years).

my mistake, i didnt realize there was NVR software, as well. i thought it was all bundled under the regular, analog card/software.

thanks for clearing that up, never good to give wrong info.

So if you have analog and ip cams do you need two different software packages or will they both run under the standard dvr?

Thanks for all the replies, I am able to use GV NVR software (that was on bundled with my camera) and things like DM multiview and saving the monitored videos directly onto my computer. GV NVR looks exactly the same as the GV-600 software at my workplace (which has an ip/analog system), so I am familiarizing myself with the software in order to support others.

So if you have analog and ip cams do you need two different software packages or will they both run under the standard dvr?

They will run under one software package.