n7Angel

Need help with gaps in recording

Hello everyone!

I've been a round a few times to solve some issues, but this is the first one I can't really find with the search tool, so this is my first time posting.

This is our setup:

8 PC DVRs - Dell Optiplex 980

2 PCs - Basic PC's for monitoring and recording management purposes

1 NAS Server - iOmega StorCenter ix4-200d

1 Switch - Cisco ESW 520 24p

All DVRs use GV-1240, except for one, which has a 1480.

4 of the DVRs are recording directly to the NAS Server. We had to do this because of an insane request of 90 days of saved recording history. We are looking at a total of 74 cameras.

All DVRs and the NAS are connected to the Gigabit ports and show the 1Gbps connection.

The problem is that when we check the recordings, there are gaps of 2 to 20 seconds at variable intervals. It may happen 2 or 3 times in a 5 minute frame, or not happen at all.

Is there any advice you can give me to solve this problem?

Thank you very much

Kind Regards,

Nicolas

Are these playbacks direct from DVR or via NAS?

Are they all doing this or just the ones driect connected to NAS or via network to NAS

The playbacks are directly from the NAS Server. I do not know of a Geovision-friendly way of recording to the disk and then have it backup the older files to another location.

Only the 4 DVRs connected to the NAS (through network) are suffering this problem, the other 4, which are recording to a local hard drive, do not present this problem.

I have a similar problem with a dlink nas and believe it to either be nas firmware. And never use green hard drives.

Sounds like you are exceeding the thruput capacity of your hard drives. If that is the case, then you will need to split up your storage to two of more NAS boxes. Geovision has a document somewhere that tells you how many cameras you can connect to a hard drive, I just cannot locate it right now.

Id say the previous poster is right, you are exceeding the HD transfer rate and the frames are getting dropped. I had the same problem with a 1480 card in a hybrid DVR/NVR system and it was annoying. I also experienced this on a few IP cameras using the onboard microSD card but when I upgraded to a Class 10 card the problems went away.

Any updates on this thread?? inquiring minds would love to know.

No helpful update yet. I am currently replacing the NAS server because of a another issue.

As soon as the NAS Server is replaced I am going to add 1 DVR at a time and figure out when the gaps start appearing so that I have a better understanding of the limits.

Sounds like you are exceeding the thruput capacity of your hard drives. If that is the case, then you will need to split up your storage to two of more NAS boxes. Geovision has a document somewhere that tells you how many cameras you can connect to a hard drive, I just cannot locate it right now.

Geovision bandwidth calculator:

http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/Geovision-Bandwidth-and-Storage-Calculator-s/639.htm