desertdog

8.5.6 webcam server crashing

My webcam server keeps crashing on and off multiple times per day...I am assuming its crashing becaus it just closes its self.....does anyone know where i can start trouble shooting this? I know there are multiple users viewing the webcams throughout the day every day but have never seen it crash like this.

Not sure what type of camera you own. I would try to change the multimedia format (ex: H.264, MPEG-4, MJPEG, MPEG, etc) that you are streaming it might give you better luck. Depends on what options in the camera that are available to you though. I have seen cameras transmit faster and better when changing the media type to a different type. Less compression makes for less Lag and that means more images and maybe no hangups.

Best wishes,

Johnny

Update:

I think i have narrowed it down to a single activity that crashes the webcam server: using the GVAview app whenever i click connect it crashes.....but was completely working just a couple days before!

Any ideas?

Not sure what type of camera you own. I would try to change the multimedia format (ex: H.264, MPEG-4, MJPEG, MPEG, etc) that you are streaming it might give you better luck. Depends on what options in the camera that are available to you though. I have seen cameras transmit faster and better when changing the media type to a different type. Less compression makes for less Lag and that means more images and maybe no hangups.

Best wishes,

Johnny

This is a good suggestion though, everything is by default set to H.264, do you think i could save some bandwidth by changing?

Did you get an answer to this ?

I just started having trouble on one of my 4 servers.

Internal Computer Multiview users have no problem,

But if I use my phone an connect with gvAview, the Web service stops.

Then no one can connect.

It has worked fine for a long time.

Did you get an answer to this ?

I just started having trouble on one of my 4 servers.

Internal Computer Multiview users have no problem,

But if I use my phone an connect with gvAview, the Web service stops.

Then no one can connect.

It has worked fine for a long time.

I decided to upgrade to 8.5.8 and see if the problem fixed itself and it completely got worse.....long story short lots of research later i downgraded to 8.5.7 which turns out to be more stable and the GVAView works just fine.

Thank you for the reply.

I may try 8.5.9 but will go back to .7 if it does not work

let us know how 9 works....i know there are substantial updates to the quicktime plugin for non ie browsers in .8 that i can't have with .7 so hopefully .9 will be the happy fix.

ok.

I now have 9 installed on the server and was able to use AView on android.

This one is my most used server internally running Multiview and RemoteLog

And a few users using Android.

I'll try to be sure to access it often this week and report.

None of my users use the web browser by itself.

I've seen this issue on 8.5.6, fixed on 8.5.7

I would avoid 8.5.8 as I have had issues with it during testing, but 8.5.9 has proven to be stable for us so far

everything is by default set to H.264, do you think i could save some bandwidth by changing?

h.264 is the most bandwidth-efficient codec