video90

i bought GV-800 card from ebay

the price was low, so i thougt it should be fake or something

and i still dont know.

its the gv-800 16ch card

it came with software (8.32)

and i know fake card come with hacked software or something like that

but, i tried to download version 7.05 - official geovision software

and also, i installed the 8.53 version - again, download it from official seller website

and it works with no problem with my card.

actually, any version of the geovision that i installed myself worked 100%

i'm currently having an old pc based cctv system that i made off an old pentium 4 pc

with 2 cards i bought off ebay - each one has 4ch conexant chip

and i use my system with H264 Webcam software.

the reason i wanted to upgrade is bcz those card have a very low fps - 2fps per channel

and the system is not very stable.

what is the reason geovision is such a good brand in the CCTV world ?

what makes it diffrent from the others?

Thanks!

It may be helpful to explain your planned system in a bit more detail, (i.e. total number & camera description, desired features, etc.)

The GV-800 you bought is probably a used card-or-gray market. Version 8.32 is from a couple years ago, if I remember correctly, (restricted to 32-bit systems) You probably spent several hundred dollars for it...correct? Your Pentium 4 wasn't free, so there's more money spent. Is there a particular reason you want to go this route, instead of something like a Dahua standalone DVR? (Not a criticism...just asking)

The question you asked "Why Geovision?" is simple to answer. (IMO) Geovision offers the most bang for the buck in the pro market. It's scalable, has some excellent features that integrate with business (LPR,Face detection, POS, SMS feed, traffic counting, missing/unattended object, etc., etc...) Their 32-Channel software is free with purchase of capture cards & cameras. There ARE better software solutions (Avigilon comes to mind), and even free software (Blue Iris is free, iirc), but none that do both better. (This is my opinion)

The downside is when you get into licensing for other brand IP cam's, the GUI is pretty dated for the end user, getting your camera feed remotely CAN be more difficult than other solutions, etc.

The Geovision website for North America (www.usavisionsys.com) lists authorized channels for purchasing on the "Where To Buy" tab. EBay is specifically listed as not approved, so don't expect any support or service. If your card goes bad, game over!

Hope that helps.

hi,

and thank you for your reply.

i paid $70 for this card.

so i guess its not alot for this type of card.

actually it wasnt from ebay itself, it was from a seller, who has a chinese website store

and they also used to sell cctv products at ebay 2 years ago.

now its a web store.

i really dont know if its fake, but i think for this price it must be fake.

but i really dont see or know the diffrence, the picture is clear, the fps looks good

and now i installed 8.57 system, and again, its working with my card

actually, any version of geovision 7.05 and above working with my card with no problems.

i have 8 camera's around my house, for security reasons,

i installed them 3 years ago, after some Thefts entered houses in my neighborhood.

i currenly having a PC based cctv, with 2 cards installed, very cheap card i bought off ebay

for $15 each at the time.

i installed them both, and used the btwincap in order to install a WDM driver

so i can operate them in any type of software like H264WEB (whice i really like)

and some others, like webcamxp ...

the problem all those years was that those cards are really cheap

and i cannot set the brightness and contract for each channel, only for all of them together

bcz the card has only 1 chip for 4 channels.

also, the total fps for the card is 25fps, but actually its more like 10fps total for 4 channels.

another thing that i like about H264webcam is the option to get an JPEG_url streaming

so i can watch it on my iphone, very quickly, using "IP CAM VIEWER PRO"

i really dont like how GV-iview app (geovision) works - its slow loading

and i need to press the Connect all the time inorder to connect to my cams.

also, the RTSP streaming in this app using the geovision rtsp server is really bad quality,

and if i want good quality, i need to set each channel kbps to something like 400kbps

and when i watch 4 together, the image fps is slow cause my DSL have an upstream of 800kbps total.

what i really wanted is to make that geovision work with WDM driver

but i could not find any driver to make it work.

i wish i could get every one of the 16 channels as a WDM capture device

and use it with my favorite software.

but i guess thats cannot be done

i know geovision is really advanced software, i played with it in the last few days

but still... i find it too complicated for my needs.

i was also thinking about a standalone DVR, whice i installed at my sister house, and its working great

but agian, the disadvantage is the inability to connect to it using a JPEG streaming url

or even a RTSP streaming , only with the supplier CMS software and the Iphone MyEye app.

but maybe, i will compromise after all, and i will buy a decent Standalone DVR.

if you have any more thoughts, please write and help me with choosing the right option for me.

Thank you.

To belabor the point buy stuff through authorized dealers/channels. Warranty, tech support, and in some cases training. Do you really want to trust a 5 year old computer and a card of questionable orgin for security? If you don't want to spend the money on a PC based system there are several stand alone DVRs that work great. We happen to use digital watchdog for our small analog installs and they work great. For 70 dollars you have probably purchased a few hundred dollars of trouble. Money that could be spent on a brand new complete with warrenty DVR that will do everything you want.