Forestarius

GV2008 Card with Windows 8.1

With XP security updates ending in a few months and a replacement for a GV2008 card being expensive, I decided to see if it would run in Windows 8.1

I downloaded a free 90 day evaluation of Win 8.1, swapped the hard drive on the XP machine (for safe keeping), and installed the OS on another hard drive.

Then installed GV version 8.3.2 software. It would begin launching the program then failed.

Under Windows "Troubleshooting" I found "Run programs made for a previous version of Windows" (it starts the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter). Then I Went though its list of GV programs, setting them to XP compatibility. But the GV program still would not work. Then I found under Hardware that the card drivers did not install. I selected the three drivers it listed as missing, installed them (just told windows where to find them) and tried again.

This Time GV launched and seems to be running fine.

I only use it as a video recorder, viewer, and to send email alert pictures. It appears to be doing the first two fine. I haven't set up the email alerts yet.

I have in general had no luck with win8 for camera systems or access control systems. I can still get win 7 machines from CDW and keep using them on geo installs for as long as I can. Win8 degraded to win 7 can sometimes be a problem as the drivers on some hardware are not really designed to run on win7.

In general there is no problem continuing to run Windows XP or Server 2003 as long as your hardware will run it.

The main issue is that Microsoft security fixes will end, so you should stop using it on the Internet as a general desktop operating system, and only use it for the specific purpose you need it. Do not enable remote desktop. Use the machine behind a firewall that is separate from Windows XP itself.

Also don't install any additional software that you don't absolutely need for Geovision to function. More software that is not used, just exposes more vulnerabilities. So if you don't need NET 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, Silverlight, Bing Bar, etc, then don't install them even if Windows updates suggests installing them.

If you absolutely must have remote desktop access to Windows XP, then do it through a VPN, so that it is not accessible from just anyone who randomly finds its public network address.

I swapped Hard Drives today so reinstalled Windows 8.1.

I manually installed the 3 drivers first (using Device Manager to point to the GV2008 folder they were in), then installed the GV 8.32 program, this time without any XP compatibility settings selected. It seems to be working fine without the XP settings.

A few days ago the video image in the video monitoring windows got blocky. The video still recorded fine and looked fine in View Log, it was just blocky when viewed live.

I had installed a program called Classic Shell so Windows 8 would have a nicer XP type menu. When I uninstalled it the problem went away.