Sign in to follow this  
hocuslocus

Compatibility Issues? card gv5016

Hello I just built my first system, and it seems I have a problem. After installing the card and dongle drivers, and installing the system software it keeps coming back with "can't find card pro". I checked connections, changed pci slots, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. Yet still the same error shows up. I know it says it's not compatible with VIA and ATI mother board chipsets. I have an ASUS sabertooth 990FX/GEN3 R2.0 which has a AMD 990FX chipset with a amd-8350 processor. The video capture card is the gv-5016.

After talking to the seller he said that geovision doesn't work with AMD chipsets and that I shouldn't have a problem with a motherboard with an intel chipset. I would agree, but I thought ATI and AMD broke up a while ago. I would test it here before I invested in another motherboard but I don't have any other motherboards that are intel. It would be great if that were the issue since the capture card was so expensive(he said for me to send it back if the problem persists, but still...).

Some other information, the lights on the card are on, they are green. When I install the drivers, they do show up under device manager. It shows both the card and the dongle. The only thing that I wasn't 100% about was that there was a slot for a sata cable on the front of the card. Does anyone know if this is supposed to be plugged in or not? I can't seem to find anything that says if it needs to be plugged in or not.

well if anyone is curious, I had to uninstall the board and dongle drivers with the cd, then uninstall anything geo with the windows uninstaller, then go into c:>windows:>system32:>drivers and manually delete anything that might have to do with geovision (if I wasn't sure I deleted it anyway. I checked the date modified just to make sure it wasn't anything to important. If it was, oh well my next step was to reinstall windows anyway.)

Now the install, I made sure I used a different copy of the software. (though I'm pretty sure the original was fine. but there was a corrupt file somewhere that wasn't allowing the software to start)

first I installed the drivers for the card

second installed the drivers for the dongle (usb)

third installed the actual software

and now I opened the software now it's like there wasn't anything wrong at all.

one thing I'm learning with all this is that it is very very important to know what is compatible with what.

I have a couple GV keyboards I got that I can't even use since I have the 64 version of windows 7.

the only way I could find something like that out is to either buy it and be SOL like I am now or do the smart thing. Go find an online instruction manual or go on the manufactures website. hindsight is a ***.