Sign in to follow this  
desertdog

Really need some help

I have been using 8.5.6 for a few months and the webcam server has just started to crash and act unstable, so i downloaded 8.5.8 from Geovision and uninstalled the main system from add/remove programs, then just ran the install i downloaded from geo. Install went fine but the webcam server tries to start over and over and over every 6 seconds.....but doesn't work. so i uninstall and reinstall main system with same results, after that i tried to do a more thorough uninstall so i tried deleting all the ini files associated with geo then the ocx files and so on just leaving the db files. then reinstalled 8.5.8 with the same results. out of frustration i uninstalled 8.5.8 through add/remove and am trying to get back to where i started with 8.5.6........after the install 8.5.6 loads just fine but the webcam server will not start at all!

Can anyone help me figure this out? I don't know what else to do. I don't have antivirus, no firewall, the system was built with specs from another "best parts" thread on this forum.

thanks.

I have personally had issues with webcam server in both 8.5.6 and 8.5.8.

The issue we had with 8.5.6 sounds identical to yours, Geovision Support fixed it manually installing the 8.5.7 webcam server components(before 8.5.7 was officially released). I also recently did some testing with 8.5.8 and found that the 'GV Mobile Server Service' uses 100% cpu time when webcam server is started(tried on both Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 8 Pro x64), I have not yet contacted Geovision mainly because v8.5.7 has been solid for us and I am not too concerned with 8.5.8 at the moment...

Personally, I would uninstall 8.5.6 and install v8.5.7. (can get it from ezcctv if you don't have a copy)

If you still have issues with 8.5.7, try running 'Fast Backup and Restore' and use the 'Restore Defaults' option. If it works after restoring defaults, restart the PC at least once just to make sure it continues to work. Then go ahead and configure any settings you had before. Try to restart again. If it fails after configuring your settings, perhaps there is a conflict with something you have set. At that point I would go back to defaults and set your settings 1 by 1 to determine where the problem lies.

If restoring defaults does not work, uninstall the GV software again, then delete or re-name the original GV install folder, usually located on root of drive C:\ unless you specified different during installation. After delete/rename install folder, go in to your 'C:\Windows' directory and delete any remaining Geovision files/folders. Look for names like: geo*, gv*. After deleting these files, go ahead and re-install, ensuring the target folder you specify during installation is EMPTY so it does not retain any previous settings.

If none of this works, I would contact Geovision support (support_AT_geovision.com.tw), the Taiwan support is VERY good in my experience.

I have personally had issues with webcam server in both 8.5.6 and 8.5.8.

The issue we had with 8.5.6 sounds identical to yours, Geovision Support fixed it manually installing the 8.5.7 webcam server components(before 8.5.7 was officially released). I also recently did some testing with 8.5.8 and found that the 'GV Mobile Server Service' uses 100% cpu time when webcam server is started(tried on both Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 8 Pro x64), I have not yet contacted Geovision mainly because v8.5.7 has been solid for us and I am not too concerned with 8.5.8 at the moment...

Personally, I would uninstall 8.5.6 and install v8.5.7. (can get it from ezcctv if you don't have a copy)

If you still have issues with 8.5.7, try running 'Fast Backup and Restore' and use the 'Restore Defaults' option. If it works after restoring defaults, restart the PC at least once just to make sure it continues to work. Then go ahead and configure any settings you had before. Try to restart again. If it fails after configuring your settings, perhaps there is a conflict with something you have set. At that point I would go back to defaults and set your settings 1 by 1 to determine where the problem lies.

If restoring defaults does not work, uninstall the GV software again, then delete or re-name the original GV install folder, usually located on root of drive C:\ unless you specified different during installation. After delete/rename install folder, go in to your 'C:\Windows' directory and delete any remaining Geovision files/folders. Look for names like: geo*, gv*. After deleting these files, go ahead and re-install, ensuring the target folder you specify during installation is EMPTY so it does not retain any previous settings.

If none of this works, I would contact Geovision support (support_AT_geovision.com.tw), the Taiwan support is VERY good in my experience.

I appreciate your input, ill give it a try and post my results

Uninstalled 8.5.8 and went with 8.5.7. So far it seems to be stable.....still can't stream on android h.264 but i can live with that.

Thanks for your help.

-DesertDog