LittleScoobyMaster

Geovision on 4k displays

Anyone running Geovision on a 4k display yet, such as one of the models from Seiki?

I know they have a $499 39 inch 4k tv at Amazon that is pretty popular. Just curious what Geovision would do on a screen like that because last time I installed Geovision GV-NVR, it asked me the resolution so it could set up a template for display and I thought the highest was only 1080p, so is GV-NVR able to use the full 3820x2160 resolution, or does it only use 1920x1080 pixels and display in a little corner or something?

http://gizmodo.com/5994765/seiki-50+inch-4k-tv-eyes+on-how-the-hell-is-a-tv-this-beautiful-so-cheap

Have you found a video card that can display 4k for a PC?

Until you do along with a HDMI 2.0 cable, it will be the only way. NVIDIA has cards that support 4k but only through display port which the 39" Seiki does not have.

By the time the technology catches up your tv will be obsolete.

Have you found a video card that can display 4k for a PC?

Indeed. Most Nvidia cards that have been released in 2013 support 4k via standard hdmi spec, albeit at only 30hz, however, for surveillance purposes, we don't need more than 30 frames per second as most surveillance IP cameras top out at only 30 frames per second anyway.

Many people are starting to use the 39 Inch Seiki as a dedicated PC monitor for setups that are ok with 30 fps. It's a nice 'in-between' low cost 4k monitor that seems to be perfect for surveillance purposes.

But, Geovision, isn't like most pieces of software unfortunately. It is a hodge-podge mess sometimes. Especially with the way they designed the GUI for it. The way they have those crazy templates set-up for different resolutions. (i.e. when you maximize an application in windows, it should maximize perfectly, and when you make it into a smaller window app, it should shrink to fit in perfect manner as something like IE, Word, Execel, etc. does when you shrink the windows size). Geovision is not at that point yet and most likely never will be until they do a full overhaul of the software.

Presently, this Seiki seems like a nice fit for many applications, especially considering the price. For only $499 you get a 39 inch 4k display.

Dell has a 28 Inch 4k monitor out on sale for $629 but, that's 11 inches smaller in size and it costs more. But either way, I think 4k screens are at the price point where they are starting to make sense as surveillance monitors. I know that Blue Iris would work fine on these 4k screens, but Geo is a different beast.

I could use the Geo web app for viewing cams, but since this is my primary Geovision system, I like to use the full GV-NVR software on it and not the web app. Hope that makes sense.

i1O9bdQ_AyY

the highest resolution supported by the gv software is 1920x1200

it would display on a 4k screen, but the interface would not fill the screen, just like you suspected.

You could use the 'full-screen' option in GV to stretch the image, but as far as I know, that just stretches the 1920x1200 image to fill the screen, it would not be 'native' resolution. I could be wrong on how the fullscreen function works though, maybe it does scale the image vs simply stretching it. Either way, I would think the image quality would be very good.

On second thought, I think the 'Digital Matrix' feature may be able to take advantage of the full resolution of the display. With matrix you don't choose the resolution, it uses whatever resolution you have the monitor running at. Unfortunately, I don't have any monitor greater than 1920x1200 to test with...

You just setup the desired monitor as a secondary 'extended' display in Windows, set your resolution, then you can can fire up GV and set up the matrix layout for that monitor. You don't see the interface on the matrix display(s), just cams

On second thought, I think the 'Digital Matrix' feature may be able to take advantage of the full resolution of the display. With matrix you don't choose the resolution, it uses whatever resolution you have the monitor running at. Unfortunately, I don't have any monitor greater than 1920x1200 to test with...

You just setup the desired monitor as a secondary 'extended' display in Windows, set your resolution, then you can can fire up GV and set up the matrix layout for that monitor. You don't see the interface on the matrix display(s), just cams

Thanks GB,

I hadn't used the Digital Matrix feature yet and it works great on this 4K display to view just the camera feeds just as you have described.

I did notice that when the Digital Matrix is active, and I am using it in conjunction with the camera pop-up feature, that it causes a quick 1 second black screen to be seen just before it switches to a pop-up viewed camera, and then once again when it goes from pop-up mode to regular panel mode, but this is a very minor annoyance and may be less noticeable when I upgrade my NVR server. Also, I am 1 Geovision software release away from the current release. Also, the primary UI display is only a 1080p display and the secondary is the 4K display. I'm going to be replacing the 1080p with another 4K display to see if that helps as well, perhaps if both displays are the same resolution it might help, but also, 2 4K displays may cause more delay due to the extra pixels being processed. Should make a nice experiment. It's nice being able to see 4 1080p cameras on one display though and being able to view all the pixel information. I like it. And it should be perfect for when I add a 4K camera later this year.

This black screen item occurs on a much older NVR based off of an Intel Q6600 cpu set-up. (6 year old quad core cpu), and it seems to be speed related whereby on a current system, the 1 second black screen might be closer to a split second, or like 1/10th of a second or less maybe.

I wonder if a much newer system would make that little black screen flash from the Digital Matrix to be less pronounced? Have you noticed the black flash I am referring to by any chance? Just curious.

I also notice more fps lag when the digital matrix is active but that is to be expected on this older NVR.

Otherwise though, this Seiki is pretty nice for viewing 4K content from the camera feeds and the Digital Matrix is the perfect fit. This weekend, Amazon has them on sale for under $400 I notice. The 30hz @ 4K is the only sucky thing but it will most likely be a while before a 39" 4K set with 60hz comes anywhere near this price point.

Great to hear you got it set up!

I recently setup a new system using the exact same 39" Seiki monitor(and it looks AWESOME...) but I am not using event popup on the display. Only thing I am concerned with is how the monitor will hold up to 24x7 usage...I guess time will tell. If it lasts 3 years I would be happy with that!

Only things I can think of for the black screen you mentioned are:

1. Are you using the 'on-demand display' feature? If on-demand is enabled, the delay may be due to switching from the sub-stream to the hi-res main-stream.

2. Do you have the same delay if you use one of the '+1' matrix layouts? For example the 16+1 layout shows 16 static cams around the perimeter, and the center of the layout(the +1) is dynamic and displays the active 'popup' cam.

Otherwise I could definitely see it being related to the older CPU/chipset. If I get some time in the next few days I'll try to do some quick tests on a Haswell-based i5/B85 system I am currently burn-in testing.