prsmith777

computer maxing out on GV-1480 card

Im getting PC resource in the 90-99% range on a Geovision 1480B card with Intel Core7 4770 on an ASUS H87 Plus motherboard, 8 GB RAM Windows 7 64. Im using the onboard graphics from the motherboard. What first brought my attention to this was a 4-5 second lag between IP and analog video.

I've got 9 analog cameras and 16 IP cameras.

Would the GV 5016 drop my resources much? Is it worth the upgrade?

I tried turning various things on and off and the biggest resource hogs were the analog cameras and digital matrix. If I shut down the analog cameras, resources drop to the 30s; stopping digital matrix drops resources into the 60s. Turning off prerecording helps a bit as well. I tried a decent add on video card, but that didnt help much at all.

I guess I could migrate everything to IP but thats gonna be costly.

Typically lag is caused by the ip cams taking up all of your bandwidth? What kind of network setup do you have?

prsmith777,

I guess you better consult with Geovision. To me, your application seems quite heavy, even for your high-end PC. The reason can be explained below.

The video data from 9 analog cameras need to be software-wise compressed and instantly viewed on the monitor. At the same time, the compressed bit streams from 16 IP cameras need to be decompressed for being displayed on the monitor. If those IP cameras are HD, the CPU load for decompression would be very huge, even for the high end PC.

If the GV-1480 is based on PCI interface, the video size from analog cameras shall be limited to no more than CIF size and their video quality is to be bad. Also PCI bus is to be shared with input network bit stream from IP cameras.

It seems your application also uses max bandwidth of PCI Bus.

And CPU has to handle all of these things one by one, with a huge buffer. Also note that the compressed bit streams are to be stored on the HDD, before being readout/decompressed/displayed on the monitor. So 5 seconds delay seems not unreasonable.