cctv_survivor

How to reset Geo password?

I had been running Geovision v6.0 for awhile and then finally got my usb security dongle in the mail and immediately upgraded to v7.0. I opened the multicam program and realized I forgot my password. I read the Geo user's manual and it sad something about running a reset password exe located in a file folder. I did that but it said I can't reset my password. Now do I really have to reinstall windows if I forgot my password??? Help!!!

Did you check the box 'Allow Removal of P/W System' when you originally set up the GEO?

If not, even after going 10 rounds with Geo Tech Support we had to format and start over...

not yet, but i think i know how, will update you this afternoon, i actually reset it by mistake last night .. so now i have to figure how i did that!!!

The password was in the registry last I checked. Seek and ye shall find. But, a reinstall is probably your best bet since you don't really want to be mucking in the registry unless you know what your doing.

cctv dude

No I did not check the 'Allow Removal of P/W System'.

The user manual now says I need to reinstall WINDOWS!

Do I have to??? Or can I get by with a Geo reinstall???

A format and reinstall of windows only takes an hour at most.Then 30 mins to setup Geo

Can you get in the system at all?

Start over and you will bet rid of all the c--p on the machine and it will run a lot sweeter.

Then you can remember your password for next time

what version of the software do you have? There is a program that does it for you .. if not, there is another program I have that also does it as a stand alone app. Check the Geo main folder first.

cctv dude

No I did not check the 'Allow Removal of P/W System'.

The user manual now says I need to reinstall WINDOWS!

Do I have to??? Or can I get by with a Geo reinstall???

When it happed to us, we uninstalled & reinstalled Geo like 10X and nothing worked. We eventually had to format and reinstall win then reinstall Geo...

i got the program here that fixes it. Its a geo program file actually. Reinstalling the software wont do it.

rory

If you are saying to run "PassUnInStall.exe" in the main GV800 folder then I have tried that. I get an error message that says, "not enough privilages". I guess I didn't check the box to allow this when I installed the first time. If you have another program that will do the trick I'd love to try it.

I sent you a PM with my email address.

Thanks!

rory

If you are saying to run "PassUnInStall.exe" in the main GV800 folder then I have tried that. I get an error message that says, "not enough privilages". I guess I didn't check the box to allow this when I installed the first time. If you have another program that will do the trick I'd love to try it.

I sent you a PM with my email address.

Thanks!

One of the things the Geo tech people recommended was the PassUnInStall.exe file, but it didn't work for us either...

Yeah, the passuninstall will only work if you had the allow removal .... option checked. For the programmers out there remember that that value has to be written somewhere... Also, yeah I mean a windows reinstall.

There's another program that clears it though (doesnt come with the default install), and im checking something else out right now that may be easier

Yeah, the passuninstall will only work if you had the allow removal .... option checked. For the programmers out there remember that that value has to be written somewhere... Also, yeah I mean a windows reinstall.

I suppose we could find it out using REGMON and FILEMON from Sysinternals, but I haven't had enough time to look more thoroughly.

Currently I'm not aware of any possibility to reset the password when "Allow removing password" option is disabled.

For all people who have this "small" problem, I prepare such short article:

I cannot login to MultiCam system. What can I do?

http://www.polvision.com.pl/faqs.asp?lang=en&id=58

And I will try to find out some other possibilities when I have more time.

Well, like i said, the program I have (and alot of you guys too) works ..

Does Geovision know about it? Their support didn't mention its existance which is not a suprise - it simply means their password system is vulnerable

Very interesting. Is it some kind of registry modification?

Would it be possible for you to send me a link to this utility? I could publish it with neccessary information (not forgetting you are the author). in my article. I'm sure it will help many people in such stupid situations like forgetting the admin password

Sent you a PM .. dont know if they know, i think it was something they may not have counted on, so far I havent found where the actuall pass is contained but doesnt appear to be the registry. My search on windows is having problem so I cant do a full search, when i get some more time ill check it out ..