tknchris

Monitoring

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and use nagios for monitoring some linux servers as well as some network resources. As part of a company merger I recently took on responsibility of some surveillance systems using the Geovision DVR software.

I was wondering if anyone out there has any of these systems and is using any monitoring software to monitor them. So far I have gotten a basic list of tcp ports and I can check to make sure those ports are open and answering but I am wondering if I can monitor more like if the software is recording, etc.

I am primarily a unix guy so I'm very comfortable with nagios and use that to monitor the geovision ports, but its not great. For example the other day the DVR software stopped recording for unknown reason. the storage volume wasnt full, software kept running and tcp ports still answered so no alerts went off but we werent recording for 36 hours and didnt realize it until i looked at the dvr for some other reason.

If you are doing any monitoring of geovision DVrs, I would love to hear if you are using nagios to monitor it and how you are monitoring it.

I was hoping there was a software API to query the software to check if its recording etc.

Thanks!