desertdog

Geovision and Purple Drives?

So im looking to upgrade one of my PC Dvr's recording drive and am curious which drive to use.

After doing some research i found the the WD Red drive is very similar to the new Purple drive except for the purple drives custom firmware to help with "AllFrame" technology and video streaming, however it says that the firmware is only compatible with certain vendors and/or models to take advantage of the Purple firmware.

On that note has anyone figured this out yet? anyone know if geovision can facilitate this new firmware on a PC base system?

Thanks.

So im looking to upgrade one of my PC Dvr's recording drive and am curious which drive to use.

After doing some research i found the the WD Red drive is very similar to the new Purple drive except for the purple drives custom firmware to help with "AllFrame" technology and video streaming, however it says that the firmware is only compatible with certain vendors and/or models to take advantage of the Purple firmware.

On that note has anyone figured this out yet? anyone know if geovision can facilitate this new firmware on a PC base system?

Thanks.

Just checking if you determined which host controllers take advantage of the WD Purple firmware or not?

Looking at these drives myself as well as the newer WD Purple NV which came out a couple months ago.

I can't find a list of compatible controllers that will utilize the firmware yet. Still looking.

Thanks.

Just checking if you determined which host controllers take advantage of the WD Purple firmware or not?

Looking at these drives myself as well as the newer WD Purple NV which came out a couple months ago.

I can't find a list of compatible controllers that will utilize the firmware yet. Still looking.

After a little research it seems that any controller that supports the ATA Streaming Feature Set, specifically from section 4.23 of the ATA specs :

Devices that implement the Streaming feature set shall implement the GPL feature set and the following commands:

a) CONFIGURE STREAM

b) READ STREAM EXT

c) WRITE STREAM EXT

d) READ STREAM DMA EXT

e) WRITE STREAM DMA EXT

Along with:

When combined with ATA streaming support, AllFrame technology helps to reduce video footage loss with a proprietary cache policy management technology to help improve data flow and playback.

All WD did was create a clever way to utilize cache along with this feature set and coined the term "Allframe".

Thanks.

After a little research it seems that any controller that supports the ATA Streaming Feature Set, specifically from section 4.23 of the ATA specs :

Devices that implement the Streaming feature set shall implement the GPL feature set and the following commands:

a) CONFIGURE STREAM

b) READ STREAM EXT

c) WRITE STREAM EXT

d) READ STREAM DMA EXT

e) WRITE STREAM DMA EXT

Along with:

When combined with ATA streaming support, AllFrame technology helps to reduce video footage loss with a proprietary cache policy management technology to help improve data flow and playback.

All WD did was create a clever way to utilize cache along with this feature set and coined the term "Allframe".

WD is good at that. I wonder if my 7 year old motherboard supports the ATA streaming set. Is that a new set, or an old set? Curious.

WD is good at that. I wonder if my 7 year old motherboard supports the ATA streaming set. Is that a new set, or an old set? Curious

According to the attached T13.org document it seems that the command set is as old as 2004. I'm not 100% when this was ratified, however, this does give you an idea of how old this actually is. If you really want to know if that mobo supports it, I'd suggest checking the host controller to see what ATA spec it adheres too.

http://www.t13.org/Documents/UploadedDocuments/docs2007/D1532v1r4b-AT_Attachment_with_Packet_Interface_-_7_Volume_1.pdf

WD is good at that. I wonder if my 7 year old motherboard supports the ATA streaming set. Is that a new set, or an old set? Curious

According to the attached T13.org document it seems that the command set is as old as 2004. I'm not 100% when this was ratified, however, this does give you an idea of how old this actually is. If you really want to know if that mobo supports it, I'd suggest checking the host controller to see what ATA spec it adheres too.

http://www.t13.org/Documents/UploadedDocuments/docs2007/D1532v1r4b-AT_Attachment_with_Packet_Interface_-_7_Volume_1.pdf

Cool. thanks for the info. I started looking at some of those documents but couldn't zero in on the exact one. My mb was manufactured in 2007 or so and I'm planning on using a 2010 board as an upgrade soon so it sounds like I should be covered.