tamhnguyen

Geovision GV800-4

I am current running Geovision GV800 on a 2.8 GHertz Pentium 4 with WinXP Pro and it works great.

However, I have a question:

Would it possible to have the "Geovision Main System" software run (i.e. recording) once the computer is bootup? Currently, WinXP requires user to log in. And because of this, the "Geovision Main System" software would only run once a user is login to the computer.

Or in other words, can the "Geovision Main system" software be installed to run in Service mode under WinXP.

Let say that the computer freezes, the WatchDog feature would kick-in and reboot the system. Then once restarted, it would then recording again, without needing a user login.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Tam

What you want to do is go to start -> run then type "control userpasswords2". There should be a little check box there that says "users must enter user name and password". Uncheck that box and you should be good to go. However, this does not work if you're on a domain.

GUI based programs don't work as a service. From what I've read, you can't make a GUI program into a service, but I've never actully tried.

You can make it run as a service but this is a pain, the way I set mine up is to use the Geovision auto log on feature...some points..

If you are using a domain and DO require an actuall WINDOWS log on (this is not necessary of course) then you can use a script to log on each time using your domains passwords, you can set windows to auto log on as Hermin pointed out, when you load geo it asks you if you wish to add to start up and if you check the Start Monitor Monitor ALL checkbox then it will start automaically and record as soon as windows is loaded, even if you have not set Geo to automatically log on or not, even if it is not looking like it is loaded.

With the auto log on feature you can set a level of password to start Geo on each time it loads, which is ESSENTIAL if you have users that might fiddle with the system as you can lock them out of it, even stop them from minimising.

One thing to note, you might want to set your Video source higher on the Geo or you will only record small images as this is what geo sets as its default.

Also, set your video deinterlace renderer and full screen Hardware overlay options to ON, (only if your video card supporst it of course) and after setting th auto log on level that you want to log in each time make sure to allow that user to be able to have full screen mode or they will not be able to use it.

A fail safe for this is to use a program like Fire Daemon, this is a proccess monitor and that looks for the Geo process and makes sure it is always running, the upside of this is that when windows starts you are insured Geo is running also means that if anyone kills Geo it will restart itself without a reboot, kinda like a pop up window that can never close.

What we need to know is are you asking can windows auto log on and start each time?

Do you need to network log on and can the password be the same each time?

If there is anything that I can do to assist please feel free to let me know!

Thank you for your help.

I also received a reply from Geovision (which I directly emailed them) on how to make the GV system run as service mode. However, it does not seem to work.

Anyway, I stick with the default setting (i.e. only one user with no Window XP Pro password) remove the keyboard and mouse -- and lock up the PC.

Any access to this PC will be done via WinXP Pro Remote Desktop Connection with a 100MB LAN

Tam

Good idea, you could lock it down also buy using four other methods.

The Policy Editor in Windows casn lock the user out of things.

You can use a cordless mouse and keyboard and lock them away

You could use Virtual Keyboard software

You can lock it up in a cabinet

If you use the policy editor, you may want to remeber to lock the users out of the registry editor. And if you do that, make sure you keep a copy of the file to undo it.

We had a client who needed to keep one of our systems somewhat more physicalically secure then Windows normally allows. Some things to keep in mind. If someone has physical access to the box, you can't keep them out. You can slow them down, you can annoy them, but you can't keep them out. Removing the inputs isn't a bad idea, but rember that wireless inputs are interchangable. Most companies bluetooth keyboards will work with any reciver. Same with mice. And any person can walk in with a Knopnix CD, put it in and have it boot up, they now have access to your computer. Now for remote access, may I suggest VNC rather then the remote desktop. It offers a better degree of encryption support, uses a much smaller memory footprint, causes less windows flakyness, and is open source.