paprotec

Geovision Copy

Paprotec is right on. We looked into writing our own application from scratch and we approached a number of experienced development companies who told us almost unanimously if they rushed it would be a year throwing massive resources to it and to debug at least another 3 - 6 months. Then you have to hope the platform you built upon is the right choice and that the architecture was such that you could make a transition should the technology shift. Basically, unless you had oodles to p*** away it wasn't worth it.

That is the issue with many of the board manufacturers. To reinvent the wheel at this point is too expensive so they build on suspect architecture and since there is no sign of pressure why spend money they dont have to.

Additionally, they are all afraid of the embedded solutions and rightly so. The PC based market will cease to exist within 24 months. But that is my opinion. They can do anything with embedded you can do with a PC or to the point where they will be able to shortly.

When it comes to a choice for an integrator of a mechanical type device that cannot be screwed up by the end user as opposed to having to deal with showing up at a customer who has loaded his Microsoft Office Suite and music files on the DVR and wants to know what happened, I don't think its much of a contest.

The kits right now for the 4-channel embedded unit with a real time display full NTSC display and 30fps record are US$100, what does that tell you.

US$100? Alot more than that in the US, if you buy the name brands anyway, but yes, I agree either way, even if you buy Asian or US stand alones, the features in the cards will soon be in the standalone software, and if it is not in the actual on board software, they will have it in the remote software (which can already be done, but they dont seem to do it for some reason), which will be just the same as using a PCI card, but the DVR will be more stable, as far as the user canot load any 3rd party software on it.

I think they spend more time on the hardware side then the remote software side. Though as name brands go, Provideo for examplem, side by side with a GE Kalatel DVR, the quality is much higher on the GE Kalatel, this is an eyes on comparison, compared by 3 different people, neither who use Video Recording at all. Provideo playback of recorded CDRW is the same quality as far as I can tell.

IP will probably be able to be integrated with stand alone DVRs, for better remote video quality (mega pixel), or the other way around, and bandwidth will be better on everything. Just my sense of the future )

also, using a 30pps/fps DVR is still good, when you record using motion detection. For example, using a GE Kalatel StoreSafe (see on my home page). When there is motion in a certain camera it switches recoring to 30pps to that camera. IF you have more cameras gettin motion then ofcourse you will get a slower recording, but even usin 16 cameras, with 3 or 4 of them getting motion, 30 or 60 pps have been great. If you are using a 60pps it switches to 60pps, this is all from what I have gathered from recorded video. New standalones even from GE are coming out with 120pps after the summer.

When I said US$100 I am talking the complete assembly. Those are the Vineyard and ALog kits. So all you need is a chasis and some minor added components and you have a real time recorder.

the net version of the standalone is only an additional US$50 - US$60

PCB $3

Motion Detector and Buzzer $3

TCP/IP and PHY $8

240 PINS FPGA $21

Audio Codec $4

Memory $7

Misc. $2 - $4

Basically for additional $50 bucks you have LAN version

When going up from Simplex to Multiplex it isnt that much more just requires a little engineering but no rocket science.

So for $150 in parts you have a real time 4 channel embedded unit

When I said US$100 I am talking the complete assembly. Those are the Vineyard and ALog kits. So all you need is a chasis and some minor added components and you have a real time recorder.

the net version of the standalone is only an additional US$50 - US$60

PCB $3

Motion Detector and Buzzer $3

TCP/IP and PHY $8

240 PINS FPGA $21

Audio Codec $4

Memory $7

Misc. $2 - $4

Basically for additional $50 bucks you have LAN version

When going up from Simplex to Multiplex it isnt that much more just requires a little engineering but no rocket science.

So for $150 in parts you have a real time 4 channel embedded unit

Ok, so you mean manufacturing, i cant get into that part of it, but would be interested to know more. I know about triplex, i guess the same as Mutliplex?

that is PC based though right, Linux or Windows, or is it RTOS like nucleus?

Thanks

Rory

RTOS. They even have now CMOS cameras with decent quality pictures for about $10 and that is with 6 LED IR. Scary stuff. It's not my market but that is where things are going on the low end of the market.

They are already selling this stuff all over eBay. That's when you know its on its way lower than low.

Some of them have the removable drive bays but have issues if you remove the drive when its in the middle of recording.

The joke at the ISC show in Vegas recently was I was walking with someone and said a hundred bucks if you can find a booth without a DVR. You would think we were being invaded.

Like I said China is catching up very quickly and the Korean market is going to suffer the same fate it did with VGA cards when China put them out of that business with subsidized government money.

Back to your question its not PC based. Looks like a VCR, acts like a VCR but its a DVR.

You basically buy a kit, then fabricate a chasis and add some minor components and voila you have a DVR. Everything is on the board/kit so its not like buying a capture card and sticking it in a PC.

Spot On CCTV I have been trying to tell Rory this for ages.. he wont accept that the Kalatel is just a boxed board from Asia, We can get standalones for around $100 US 30Fps Realtime with option of $50 webserver, thats pretty cheap.

As for programming your own Rory, you are dreaming...really dreaming... took us 6 months with two programmers just to geta Free BSD version up and running, sure it was great capture and with our own interlacing it was great but fact remains, by the time you develop 6 months of work and Bug fix it then get someone to do the GUI and remote software, you are 6 months behind in features, the problem is that even if you try to do your own you will fall behind, companies like Geo spend bucket loads on development so that this is the case, by the time everyone copies the last idea, they have a new one!

It could be done in 6 months but only by a severe proffesionall locked in a room, trust me we tried!

Spot On CCTV I have been trying to tell Rory this for ages.. he wont accept that the Kalatel is just a boxed board from Asia, We can get standalones for around $100 US 30Fps Realtime with option of $50 webserver, thats pretty cheap.

As for programming your own Rory, you are dreaming...really dreaming... took us 6 months with two programmers just to geta Free BSD version up and running, sure it was great capture and with our own interlacing it was great but fact remains, by the time you develop 6 months of work and Bug fix it then get someone to do the GUI and remote software, you are 6 months behind in features, the problem is that even if you try to do your own you will fall behind, companies like Geo spend bucket loads on development so that this is the case, by the time everyone copies the last idea, they have a new one!

It could be done in 6 months but only by a severe proffesionall locked in a room, trust me we tried!

Kalatel is a US product, how can it be a boxed board from Asia???? Not everything is made in Asia come on man. Just because the memory chip is made in ASia. If you read the lable on the back of the DVR it sais MADE IN THE USA, if you however look at a Kalatel Camera, it does say Made in Taiwan. And those $50 DVRs are a piece of crap with no software or non worth using. I stil havent seen a real GEO demo to tell if it is really as good as you say, the web based demo is a joke and the program icons look like children made them.