View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Anyone using GV-VMS yet?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:59 pm 

Just curious if anyone is using this or not.

Post subject: Re: Anyone using GV-VMS yet?
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:25 pm 

LittleScoobyMaster wrote:

Tried it out for a few weeks, but had to go back to Multi-Cam. The (new) PC specs exceed the minimum requirements to run VMS, but it seems very buggy. The camera layout and menus are much better. Switching between live view and playback is real easy.
Problems encountered:
Hangs up when making changes, adding cameras, motion detection tweaking, adding analytics, camera layout changes etc. Any of these changes would cause the PC to stop responding for several seconds, sometimes a minute or two, or require a PC reboot. It became too time consuming to make system changes. Playback with the time line is great, unfortunately is is also VERY laggy and would occasionally take very long to respond or quit responding all together.
I loaded VMS on an older i7 PC and it pretty much responded the same way the new PC did. Maybe the next version will work better, but for now, I'll have to stay with Multi-Cam

Last edited by PA2001 on Tue May 26, 2015 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:20 am 

PA2001 wrote:

Tried it out for a few weeks, but had to go back to Multi-Cam. The (new) PC specs exceed the minimum requirements to rum VMS, but it seems very buggy. The camera layout and menus are much better. Switching between live view and playback is real easy.
Problems encountered:
Hangs up when making changes, adding cameras, motion detection tweaking, adding analytics, camera layout changes etc. Any of these changes would cause the PC to stop responding for several seconds, sometimes a minute or two, or require a PC reboot. It became too time consuming to make system changes. Playback with the time line is great, unfortunately is is also VERY laggy and would occasionally take very long to respond or quit responding all together.
I loaded VMS on an older i7 PC and it pretty much responded the same way the new PC did. Maybe the next version will work better, but for now, I'll have to stay with Multi-Cam

Did you have to update your GV-NVR USB dongle in order to run GV-VMS?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:10 am 

You can run VMS with 32 channels for free without a dongle, only using Geovision cameras.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:07 pm 

PA2001 wrote:
You can run VMS with 32 channels for free without a dongle, only using Geovision cameras.

Do you know if that is true only if you are using Geovision cameras, or is it also true for 3rd party cameras as well?

(I purchased a GV-NVR to be able to use four 3rd party cameras (Hikvision) and I'm curious if it will work with GV-VMS without updating the dongle).

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:14 pm 

I do not know.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:10 pm 

You need a NEW dongle. I tried using the old one. That did not work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:14 pm 

fixingstill wrote:
You need a NEW dongle. I tried using the old one. That did not work.

On Geo's website they show a method for updating existing GV-NVR dongles.

Have you tried to update one yet?

http://www.usavisionsys.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=550

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:42 pm 

GV-VMS seems to work perfectly whit my two camera`s.

I do not know the deliverance between GV-VMS and the Multicam, yes i looks not the same, but i do not know if its better or not.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:29 am 

cocacola wrote:
GV-VMS seems to work perfectly whit my two camera`s.

I do not know the deliverance between GV-VMS and the Multicam, yes i looks not the same, but i do not know if its better or not.

I finally tried out the GV-VMS 60 day free trial and it seems to work good in trial mode.

The custom layout improvements in GV-VMS are very good compared to regular GV-NVR. Now you can have live views of all different sizes of cameras. They should have added this feature 10 years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:40 pm 

PA2001 wrote:

Tried it out for a few weeks, but had to go back to Multi-Cam. The (new) PC specs exceed the minimum requirements to run VMS, but it seems very buggy. The camera layout and menus are much better. Switching between live view and playback is real easy.
Problems encountered:

Are you thinking that GV-VMS is mostly just a cosmetic update to GV-NVR, or do you think it's more like a rewrite of the software?

I'm starting to think it's only a cosmetic upgrade, but the new camera layouts are nice. They should have been that way a decade ago. Not sure why it took Geovision so long to realize that.

I haven't checked out the timeline feature yet.

I keep wondering after all this time if I should continue on with Geovision or move on to something else. I've been using Geovision for over 10 years but it has never impressed me that much. Always rather bugger and cumbersome. The fact that you still can't resize windows like a normal application, even with GV-VMS, just makes me cringe sometimes. Makes me feel like I'm missing out on something.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:33 pm 

Mostly cosmetic, but with a few nice features. The main issue is when you load up the system with 30+ cameras, it becomes VERY sluggish and sometimes unresponsive. Seems like it is still a beta product. Maybe the next version will be better.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:27 pm 

PA2001 wrote:
Mostly cosmetic, but with a few nice features. The main issue is when you load up the system with 30+ cameras, it becomes VERY sluggish and sometimes unresponsive. Seems like it is still a beta product. Maybe the next version will be better.

I've been noticing the same thing with choppiness and I'm only using 4 cameras on the 60 day trial 14.10 version.

I wonder if anyone happens to know when 15.10 will be released? Perhaps it will be more refined and usable by then.

15.10 is supposed to have h.265 but I don't show a release date for it yet.

http://www.securityworldhotel.com/int/News/Product-News/geovision-debuts-h265-vms-at-isc-2015

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:12 am 

We have been using VMS 14.10 for a while now. Just a few quick thoughts;

-The Good[b]
Free 32 Channel (Geovision Cameras) and up to 64 for a small fee. Does not appear to be just a "re-skin" of old (8.59 and previous). "Live" & "Recording" selection are more seamless. Custom matrix is great, and Fisheyes can be broken-out into multiple camera feeds. Seems to load faster. Finally has a look & feel of more modern management systems. USA Vision support is responsive. Timeline search is awesome, with a "mouse hover" preview window. New app (GV-Eye) adds features that weren't available with old app (Gv-Iview, Gv-Aview), like higher camera resolutions, audio, Fisheye de-warp, on mobile devices. H.265 and VMS 15 are set to fix some of the "Not So Good"

-[b]The Not So Good

No backwards compatibility with legacy analog.
"DM Multiview" & "Remote Viewlog" still have an old, clunky interface look.
(neither of these complaints are set to be addressed by VMS 15)
Use as VMS only...if you need I/O device integration, LPR, POS, etc., you'll have to wait for VMS 15. Doesn't seem to play nice with Windows 8, so Windows 7 64-bit may be a better choice. 3rd party cameras work fine, but there's still a license fee, (okay...not Geovision's fault, since the entire industry seems to do this, but ONVIF was supposed to make IP devices more Plug N Play...I'll get off my soapbox now).

Just my observations.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:27 pm 

I have been trying the new vms for few months and it's horrible software!
I terms of responsiveness, the new options are great, layout and new playback, but it's very unmature and buggy !

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next