LittleScoobyMaster

Anyone using GV-VMS yet?

Just curious if anyone is using this or not.

Tried it out for a few weeks, but had to go back to Multi-Cam. The (new) PC specs exceed the minimum requirements to run VMS, but it seems very buggy. The camera layout and menus are much better. Switching between live view and playback is real easy.

Problems encountered:

Hangs up when making changes, adding cameras, motion detection tweaking, adding analytics, camera layout changes etc. Any of these changes would cause the PC to stop responding for several seconds, sometimes a minute or two, or require a PC reboot. It became too time consuming to make system changes. Playback with the time line is great, unfortunately is is also VERY laggy and would occasionally take very long to respond or quit responding all together.

I loaded VMS on an older i7 PC and it pretty much responded the same way the new PC did. Maybe the next version will work better, but for now, I'll have to stay with Multi-Cam

Edited by Guest

Tried it out for a few weeks, but had to go back to Multi-Cam. The (new) PC specs exceed the minimum requirements to rum VMS, but it seems very buggy. The camera layout and menus are much better. Switching between live view and playback is real easy.

Problems encountered:

Hangs up when making changes, adding cameras, motion detection tweaking, adding analytics, camera layout changes etc. Any of these changes would cause the PC to stop responding for several seconds, sometimes a minute or two, or require a PC reboot. It became too time consuming to make system changes. Playback with the time line is great, unfortunately is is also VERY laggy and would occasionally take very long to respond or quit responding all together.

I loaded VMS on an older i7 PC and it pretty much responded the same way the new PC did. Maybe the next version will work better, but for now, I'll have to stay with Multi-Cam

Did you have to update your GV-NVR USB dongle in order to run GV-VMS?

You can run VMS with 32 channels for free without a dongle, only using Geovision cameras.

You can run VMS with 32 channels for free without a dongle, only using Geovision cameras.

Do you know if that is true only if you are using Geovision cameras, or is it also true for 3rd party cameras as well?

(I purchased a GV-NVR to be able to use four 3rd party cameras (Hikvision) and I'm curious if it will work with GV-VMS without updating the dongle).

GV-VMS seems to work perfectly whit my two camera`s.

I do not know the deliverance between GV-VMS and the Multicam, yes i looks not the same, but i do not know if its better or not.

GV-VMS seems to work perfectly whit my two camera`s.

I do not know the deliverance between GV-VMS and the Multicam, yes i looks not the same, but i do not know if its better or not.

I finally tried out the GV-VMS 60 day free trial and it seems to work good in trial mode.

The custom layout improvements in GV-VMS are very good compared to regular GV-NVR. Now you can have live views of all different sizes of cameras. They should have added this feature 10 years ago.

Tried it out for a few weeks, but had to go back to Multi-Cam. The (new) PC specs exceed the minimum requirements to run VMS, but it seems very buggy. The camera layout and menus are much better. Switching between live view and playback is real easy.

Problems encountered:

Are you thinking that GV-VMS is mostly just a cosmetic update to GV-NVR, or do you think it's more like a rewrite of the software?

I'm starting to think it's only a cosmetic upgrade, but the new camera layouts are nice. They should have been that way a decade ago. Not sure why it took Geovision so long to realize that.

I haven't checked out the timeline feature yet.

I keep wondering after all this time if I should continue on with Geovision or move on to something else. I've been using Geovision for over 10 years but it has never impressed me that much. Always rather bugger and cumbersome. The fact that you still can't resize windows like a normal application, even with GV-VMS, just makes me cringe sometimes. Makes me feel like I'm missing out on something.

Mostly cosmetic, but with a few nice features. The main issue is when you load up the system with 30+ cameras, it becomes VERY sluggish and sometimes unresponsive. Seems like it is still a beta product. Maybe the next version will be better.

Mostly cosmetic, but with a few nice features. The main issue is when you load up the system with 30+ cameras, it becomes VERY sluggish and sometimes unresponsive. Seems like it is still a beta product. Maybe the next version will be better.

I've been noticing the same thing with choppiness and I'm only using 4 cameras on the 60 day trial 14.10 version.

I wonder if anyone happens to know when 15.10 will be released? Perhaps it will be more refined and usable by then.

15.10 is supposed to have h.265 but I don't show a release date for it yet.

http://www.securityworldhotel.com/int/News/Product-News/geovision-debuts-h265-vms-at-isc-2015

We have been using VMS 14.10 for a while now. Just a few quick thoughts;

-The Good

Free 32 Channel (Geovision Cameras) and up to 64 for a small fee. Does not appear to be just a "re-skin" of old (8.59 and previous). "Live" & "Recording" selection are more seamless. Custom matrix is great, and Fisheyes can be broken-out into multiple camera feeds. Seems to load faster. Finally has a look & feel of more modern management systems. USA Vision support is responsive. Timeline search is awesome, with a "mouse hover" preview window. New app (GV-Eye) adds features that weren't available with old app (Gv-Iview, Gv-Aview), like higher camera resolutions, audio, Fisheye de-warp, on mobile devices. H.265 and VMS 15 are set to fix some of the "Not So Good"

-The Not So Good

No backwards compatibility with legacy analog.

"DM Multiview" & "Remote Viewlog" still have an old, clunky interface look.

(neither of these complaints are set to be addressed by VMS 15)

Use as VMS only...if you need I/O device integration, LPR, POS, etc., you'll have to wait for VMS 15. Doesn't seem to play nice with Windows 8, so Windows 7 64-bit may be a better choice. 3rd party cameras work fine, but there's still a license fee, (okay...not Geovision's fault, since the entire industry seems to do this, but ONVIF was supposed to make IP devices more Plug N Play...I'll get off my soapbox now).

Just my observations.

I have been trying the new vms for few months and it's horrible software!

I terms of responsiveness, the new options are great, layout and new playback, but it's very unmature and buggy !

Can i use the GV-NVR dongle whit Geovision VMS? And how do i do that?

I have the dongle right here, put it in the computer but nothing really happens.

Hi

From what I heard the NVR license can't work on VMS, you need to buy additional VMS license.

(I heard that NVR --> VMS have a upgrade pricing that is cheaper but I'm not certain, you may have to double check that)

But if you only use GV IP cameras then VMS14.1 can connect up to 32 GV IP cam without license.

For VMS to connect 3rd party IP cameras, VMS license must be purchased.

You can use VMS to connect only GV IP cameras to try it out, if you feel satisfied then you can purchase VMS license.

You can contact http://www.usavisionsys.com/ for more details about VMS license pricing.

IMO the latest GV-VMS 14.10.1.0 is beta-quality AT BEST. The interface is great compared to the old GV-NVR and I'm sure in a year or so it will be fine but let me tell you it is not there yet...

Guys, i need your help.

I just added a 3e party camera to my gv-vms system, see picture below.

How can i add the GV-dongle so i get a picture? I can not find how?

280484_1.jpg

Guys, i need your help.

Do you have a VMS dongle now? Your previous post stated you had an NVR dongle, they are 2 different things.

If you have a 3rd-party license dongle for VMS, you just need to plug in the dongle then install the 'GV-USB Device Driver' from here: http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/5_8_ACC.asp

After the driver is installed you may need to reboot in order for it to be recognized by the VMS software

Guys, i need your help.

280484_1.jpg

Hi,

You will need to have a VMS license for 3rd party cameras. NVR license will not work.

There is a trial version which gives you 60 days trial for 3rd party cameras. (There will be a "trial" watermark on the video)

You can download VMS trial software here: http://54.200.75.24/english/EncodeUrl.aspx?source=http://d3i1pmbs94lc9y.cloudfront.net/Software/Paid/GV-VMS-V141010.zip#

The old NVR dongle seems to work after reinstalling it and reboot the pc.

Got image, amd if i pull the dongle out it stops. Re-enter the stick and its rocording.

So it seems like the old dongle works om GV-VMS to

Got image, amd if i pull the dongle out it stops. Re-enter the stick and its rocording.

Well, that's good news.

Good to hear it's working for you.

Well, that's good news.

Yes i am happpy to! however, this sould not have worked, and i hate misterys.

Anyone From Geovision that can provide a awnser?

Well, that's good news.

Yes i am happpy to! however, this sould not have worked, and i hate misterys.

Anyone From Geovision that can provide a awnser?

I agree. This whole GV-VMS issue is very confusing. For example, I just purchased a GV-NVR dongle not that long ago, maybe a year or more. Now GV-VMS is out and at the same time, it seems as though GV-NVR support is being dropped because no new features are being added to GV-NVR, almost like they are phasing out GV-NVR but they aren't really saying that, so it is confusing.

Anyway, if someone just purchased a GV-NVR dongle and wants to run GV-VMS for 3rd party cameras, they should be able to just upgrade to GV-VMS for free because GV-VMS is basically the same product as GV-NVR with a name change and a couple added features that should have been in GV-NVR since inception. (custom layouts).

With all the confusion surrounding GV-VMS, I am considering other options. I've been using Geovision products for over 10 years but this kind of confusion doesn't make me very confident in my GV choices.

I hope that they do something soon and give people an idea of what to expect with GV-NVR - GV-VMS. But the way I see it, it appears as though GV-NVR is heading towards no longer being supported. I submitted a feature request for GV-NVR recently and was told they are no longer accepting feature requests due to GV-VMS being released.