dandex

Building a Geovision system

Hello again DVR enthusiasts!

I would like to ask you for your help in choosing the best components to build a DVR with Geovision cards. That would include motherboard, chip, cards, h/d, memory .. everything. I am not building the systems .. I only install them and service them - but I need the most stable and reliable system that I can order. Appreciate your help! If any of you guys are building DVR's please send me an e-mail!!

Thanks again

DD

1/ use a patition for the video

2/disable the sound card

3/make sure your video card supports direct draw overlay

4/buy HDD's that have a long warranty...do not mount them on top of each other

5/use drive bays to cool each hdd

6/do not use a mianboard that does not have an intel chipset

7/video cards with dual monitor ability are usefull

8/fast ram, corsair xms is pretty good

9/asus mainboards are excellent

10/do not place the geo card int he first pci slot

use a good quality powersupply, i use antec.

11/cooling is a major issue, use a lot of fans

Which specific ASUS motherboards can you recommend? The ones I have looked at that are recommended elsewhere are all out of production.

How about ASUS P4C800DX with a 2.0 MHz P4 for running a GV650-4?

Damm, that's overkill.

Well, for what you listed is more than good, so while the higher the specs are for the machine, the better it is.

The P4800 Deluxe is a Brilliant board, I use it for all models ablove GV800 (I also use one in my own machine at home) with 3yr warranty and the latest Chipset, it is the best of the affordable boards, however it is a bit of an overkill for a 650 machine.

I tend to overscope my machines..even use the ATI 9800XT and Sata drives, but buying a board like the Asus high end may not be necessary for what you need.. I mean the board has built in WIFI, hardly needed but you pay for it, goes super fast with a good 1GIG TwinX from Corsair.

If you can afford to use it then do so!

For my Geovision GV-800- 4 camera system, I use:

- Soyo motherboard P4I865PE Dragon Socket 478 Barebone,

- Pentium 4 2.8 GHz with HT and 800 MHz FSB,

- 512 MB of Ram from Ultra PC3200

- Video card is Diamond Stealth S90 GeForceFX 5200 128MB AGP TV/DV

- 250 GB Western Digital HD with 8 MB caches and 7200 RPM

Hope this helps.

Tam

Any good brand Intel 865PE based motherboard will do. All the known brands are good for the task. anything more than 256MB and a 2.4Ghz Celeron is a waste of money for a 4 Channel system, unless you intend that more than 1 or 2 users will connect to the system remotely at the same time. In that case a memory increase should be the first step.

BTW, I'm testing the very cheap SOYO SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon2 Version 1.0 now and its' BIOS lacks the option for a restart in case of power loss, although the manual says the board has this option. It's a new board and the issue might be fixed with a new BIOS release, but for now it is not acceptable for a DVR system.

Hello all

New guy here

I have tried the Picos,Avermedias ect.. IMHO Not worth much.

I have always been a AMD fan and have built many for myself and friends.

I wanted to have the best dvr card and do it right the first time?

I was leary of buying the Geo for fear of conflicts of not going all Intel?

But that hasnt been the case at all. The system has been up and running for weeks with no problems at all.

I havent been dissapointed.

I will admit to having a monster of a computer that is shared by CAD programs and Photoshop while running Geo and really I dont notice any lag?

The Nvidia chipset seems to work fine?

Although I admit I was going to do a mobo and chip swap on my system?

" I did buy the P4 2800 and Abit IC7-G If I had any problems?"

I run:

12 cams.no audio

I use a

AMD 3200mhz.

on a Gigabyte GA-7n400 Pro2 w/raid mobo.

With a NVidia Nforce2 chipset.

Geforce FX5700LE 256 ddr.

1gig 400mhz DDR.

Geovision GV-1000. :life is beautiful at 30 fps!

4 Hdds =210gigs on Partitioned for 6. drives "OS,Programs,Games,Docs,Business stuff,Storage ect.."

1 250gig Maxtor solely for dvr video.

DVD Burner

Anybody not running Intel and a Geo?

darn, i need a PC like that! Did you build it yourself, and how much? I dont need it for cctv, just for other work, programming, and downloading MP3s!

I just kept building it up and using the older parts as I upgraded, to furnish the old ladies computer? She gets the hand me downs hehe!

2-300 a year keeps it up to date and smokin!

i wish it only cost me that much! make that $6-900 time i land it here, if im lucky.

And if its a machine like you quoted, more like $2-3000

PCI8x was launched here yesterday and the new mainboards and CPU's too, I have seen Geo run fine on SIS but not Via, sometimes you get lucky.. Nice puter, I am building myself a new one for home so I can play Half Life 2 when it is launched!

i need a new 'puter bad, this is a slow sis, 128mb ddr, 2.2 celleron, all in one board, that was crap from day 1, no matter what OS i put on it, time to move on Was a cheap package i bought over here. Im building a new computer for someone that bought all high end parts in the US, and if it runs as good as I think it will, will buy the same and load ME and XP on it for myself Dont have the parts yet nor remember wht I suggested, but will let you know.

God no! Don't taint the machine by putting the foul evil that is ME on it...just don't do it! Even Gentroo can't remove the foul taint of ME.

Ive never had a problem with ME, in fact, its much faster then XP and requires less security Updates. I have a client with a 42" plasma as a monitor, and a 3.2Ghz P4. 2G DDR, etc etc, windows ME, it is so fast it leaves me in the dust. We had Windows XP on it by default originally,then loaded ME as the Plasma Video card had too many issues with XP, and it cant compare to the speed of ME.

But like I said, Ill have both. My current system cannot even run XP, it needs more memory. Sorry, Im a speed freak!

You need to let me put ME on one of your machines, you wont be dissapointed. Its all I have used since it was released. Maybe I am doing something that others arent?

Then you are truely a blessed man. But instead of ME, why not go with w2k? Speedier then XP, more robust then ME...and if you touch one of my machines with ME...well you don't need that hand right?

I agree, I would go with 2000 over XP any day. But, as I will be develloping software, I have to test on XP as alot of people are using it. Even now, I have to use other's PCs to test Windows 2000, and Windows XP for the software, then I see issues and have to go back and fix them, then test again, it normally only takes on fix, but ...

I must say, Windows XP is more user friendly than ME or 2000, more drivers, etc, but way too much menory and CPU required. Though, i have my parents using it as they have a new PC, and I just want it to work, its a fast PC so it doesnt matter much anyway, plus all they do is check email and browse the web. I did notice XP has a nice repair option that is run from the CD in case of a windows error, helped me one time with a client. Personally ill stick to the faster OS for my personal use, ME, 98 for some, but ofcourse evenatually Ill have to buy the faster PC to support XP, as ME will eventually not work properly as more worms are released and microsoft has no more fixes for it! They say they dont support it anymore, but they do, there are still regular updates, unless they are archived updates. Another thing MS said, they claimed PWS wont work with ME, I have never had an issue, thats all i use for my web sites, PWS, IIS on XP never did me much justice, yet. Windows 2003, whats up with that, havent tried it yet, is it any good??

W2k has that repair option as well, and Win98 supports it in a differant way (SFC /scannow ). W2k3 is more of a server system, not so much a desktop system. And you'll note that ME hasn't been a target of the last major group of worms.