Sign in to follow this  
bankrboy30

Video Servers reporting 'Too Many Connections'

So out of no where after at least 3 yrs. of never once experiencing this issue nearly all of my Video Servers (a mixture of mainly GV-VS04H with some GV-VS14's etc.) are reporting a 'Too many connections' error which ultimately results in dropping the video (video lost) across a series of DVR's and the main viewing area in what I call mission control where we pull everything together in Control Center...

I thought that possibly the various staff which view subsets of cams on their mobile devices might be the issue so I set each video server to reboot in the early morning hours in a staggered pattern which should drop any open connections. That would leave at most 3 active connections on restart but in most cases only 2 (the Control Center connection and the connection to whichever DVR I am recording those cameras on) but I am still experiencing this issue after a couple of days after setting up the auto reboot.

What gives? This system never fails to throw me new curve balls at every turn even as we add to and expand its coverage of the properties it monitors. I am getting to the point where I feel it would be foolish to continue in investing any further $$ though the client is semi committed when you consider the # of Video Servers / DVR's etc...

In most cases the wired connections aren't even close to maxed (16 camera cards with only 4 or 6 cameras locally hard wired) and each of the DVR's is a killer build - ie. all of the backbone is pretty much maxed out or overkill for the job i7 4790k processors with 16gb memory - SSD system drives with plenty of extra storage for the Video

All of the video servers have max connections set at the default 20 but as I mention above there should be at most 3 or 4 connections at any given time and since no one is accessing the Video Servers directly for viewing (they access the WebCamServer of the DVR if I'm understanding correctly) the actual # of connections should never approach 20!

Ok here's another I figured out for myself - it would seem that recent firmware updates created a new restriction on the # of connections which interestingly enough is not what you think in terms of connections but instead should refer to 'streams' - so for example if you add the video server to 2 DVR Systems inside of either MultiCam or Control Center etc. and the video server has 4 Cameras each is considered a 'connection' - hence the 4x2=8 limit now set by the firmware for a GV-VS04H video server. The newer GV-VS14 will allow for 16 'connections' as they provide for dual streams.

This is no where in any manual and you may as well ignore the max connections setting in the web interface for the video server being set at the default 20 - the only place you will find this information is in the version history of the firmware files.

I'm going to see if I can get around this by using the multi-cast functionality in the video server and will post back to let others know how I made out.

Fun with GeoVision! Gotta love it...