kdberg

OS For Geovision System?

What are the pros and cons of using the various supported operating systems (W2K, XP, Windows Server 2003) for building a geovsion based system (650, 800, etc.)?

Uhm, there is really no difference in these os's since they all are basically the same thing with the execption of Server.

The best thing to do is to just use Win XP Pro (NOT HOME!!)

Spot on Hermin.. you can use XP Home Oem if you are a systems integrator but you need a licence and have to order very large amounts..we do this.. we also use an embedded (not really embedded) shelled XP version. Pro gives domain support and remote control, but that can be achieved with VNC, mind you for some reason I have seen less Pro systems have issues than Home so it is worth the few extra bucks, you may have problesm with running Geo as a service on Server but it can be done!

I hope this helps

XP Pro is also available in OEM version, so why don't you use that? (I am an authorized MS integrator.)

I personally perfer W2k for building systems when I know there will be heavy CPU load. Window's XP has a lot of graphic's cruft that take up a few percent of CPU usage. For most users it's not a big deal, but it can be a problem when you're running 90% usage. YMMV.

That is a veryt true comment but XP has accelerated use of some applications and allows for more codecs than a standard 2k install, It also works witht the later drivers, but yes agree on the bloatware of XP, I should have made my point clearer we use XP Home and XP Pro Oem as we are system integrators as well, just we sell more with Home as most people in Australia do not have Cable or DSL... just horse and cart

P.S. It pays when using other cards than Geo to use CPU Throttling and back it off a bit, sure you loose frames but the machine will not work as hard and therefore is more stable anyway, I have yet to have this problem with Geo, but many other cards really work quite stable when this is done but when you don't they fall over faster than me after 20 Coronas

We use XP PRO here for machines we send out. XP Home should pretty much be avoided at all costs for all users. It's not worth the money you save. For those who wonder what the differance is, XP Home had a number of networking and higher end features removed from it. And this can cause all kinds of minor annoyances.

Just out of curiousity, which codecs did you have a problem with w2k? And with our app, we just freeze live video and that generally steps down CPU usage enough.

Ligos Indio Codec.. it was present in some versions of XP and 2k but later was removed...

As mentioned before most people here use PSTN to connect so advanced networking options like domain support are not needed here so it is worth saving the extra dollars, but for the US ..yep I would not use anything else.. you guys have DSL and Cable everywhere man!

I had to move house just to get it

Heck, if you think we have broadband everywhere you should check out S. Korea...

With XP Home, I'm not sure the stability trade off is worth it. But YMMV.

Sorry, it's an American netism. To convert it for the rest of the world it should be YKMV or Your kilometers may vary. The two are simular, but like I said, there are reasons for the price differance. I'd be less annoyed if MS had built XP Home, and then added features to get to Pro, but doing it the other way you end up with a system that can start being flaky at six months, rather then pro which seems to start it's general flakyness at about a year.