LittleScoobyMaster

Geovision and Via Chipset and free doughtnuts for all.

"this will give you a mainboard model and then check with the manufactorer.. GV250 and GV600 will work with a Via the rest wont, I would say if it is AMD it would be VIA but it may be SIS Chipset"

Why doesn't Geovision update their site so users know that these 2 boards will work just fine with the Via Chipset? Or are there still issues with the Via chipset that are just workaroundable or something?

If I pop a GV600 into my AMD via chipset motherboard, will I run into ANY issues, or will it run just as smooth as it would on a similar Intel MB?

Did Geo just not update their site because of their bad marketing that you mention on occasion? Just curious. I would think they would remove the references to GV250/600 models so they could sell more units but who knows.

http://www.geovision.com.tw/002/en/product-gv600.asp

Part of me wants to build a whole new system from scratch but I also want to see what Geovision can do compared to my Osprey 100 setup which is very limited on the software side. I sure wish I could just test out the Geovision software on my 4 card Osprey 100 system but it doesn't sound like I will ever be able to.

Damn the luck.

The problem is a timing problem relating to the Hint PCI bus to PCI bus bridge chip that is used on the GV boards in order to run multiple capture chips on 1 board (ie more than 30fps on 1 board). That is why the GV-600 does not have the issue, because it uses only a single capture chip and does not have the Hint chip sitting on the PCI bus.

Something tells me that if there were a workaround, GV would have done it by now.

SIS and other chipsets work fine, we build GV based systems with AMD cpus all the time, using mainly SIS based boards.

PS Some motherboards use a VIA chipset on the North bridge only, these boards WILL run fine with GV stuff, my own 16 channel system is running on a Abit board that uses an AMD south bridge and a VIA north bridge and it runs great, and has for the last 3 years.

Thanks. I'm familiar with the HINT chip and understand that it is the reason that the GV cards have a problem with the Via chipset but I can't understand why Geo doesn't remove the reference stating that the GV-250 is currently not compatible with the VIA chipset? I'm left to assume this just falls under DVR_Experts Geo bad marketing issues but I wanted to confirm.

I wasn't aware that it was just Via on the south bridge that caused the issue though. That's good to know. I thought it was a problem with Via on either bridge.

I used to always switch between Abit and ASUS motherboards myself but I find myself coming back to ASUS more often. My current surveillance system is using an Abit KG7 Lite. Not a bad little unit but I think it's time for an upgrade.