CCTVINSTALLER

Geovision and dedicated remote view

Regarding remote view for Geovision. When we install our geovision systems, we offer our customers the option of remote view, if they require it, we have a partnership with BT so they provide the customer with the broadband connection for remote view.

The broadband modem has 2 connections, a USB2.0 to the computer and a rj11 connection to the DSL filter. The problem we're getting is in order to connect to the internet, the customer has to open the connection box and click 'connect' (a lot like a dial up), geovision automatically generates the webcam on startup so thats not a problem. This means that the geovision webcam only works once the internet is connected, and some customers use the internet every now to surf or search, and i dont know how but it often ends up getting disconnected. The customer don't know how to connect, so i have to go there every few weeks to connect get the internet up and running, sounds silly, but its got to be done.

Could anyone provide me with a solution, so the internet is ALWAYS CONNECTED??

Another thing, what Firewall do you use with geovision to prevent intrusion, ive found it tends to slow the transmission down very much, and its almost like logging on to a dial up webcam account. I use norton firewall

You can just put the shortcut to the internet connection in the startup folder. This way the connection will be automatically dialed when windows starts.

If you look at the connection's properties you can configure it to redial when line is dropped.

Other solution is to use this small dialer:

http://www.blackcastlesoft.com/netlaunch/default.asp

right on loop ! That's exactly what I do and it works fine - I never lose my ADSL connection. As for firewall, I use Bitdefender Antivirus/Firewall. I wasn't happy with Norton as I suspected that it slowed my internet traffic down. Bitdefender is cheaper, faster and better IMHO.

Same problem with DSL here. We cant use anything besides Cable here as DSl is way to expensive to get the fast enough speed required for streaming video. I am meeting with a wireless Internet company tomorrow to discuss what they can do for us.

DSL here is $490 a month for a business to get a good upload speed, cable is $150 a month (includes TV) for the simular.

DSL - its the governments local monopoly, no other companies are permitted to provide telco services here:

http://www.batelnet.bs/rates.htm

Cable Bahamas - its the local Private Monopoly - there is no other cable company, these are the only guys with good fiber, they have the fastest speeds here: (they only show home accounts on this page)

http://www.coralwave.com/products.shtml

Rory, thats expensive, i see what you mean. BT in the UK became privatised around 1991, and now DSL is around $40 a month. Not only that but they've got a 'dealership contract' where installers (especially telecoms )

dealers that offer DSL packages to their customers get a commission for every installation, and the job gets done a lot quicker because you've got direct contact with the DSL guys and they know you're a dealer.

Thanks for the links! Someone was telling me i would need a DSL router in order to get constant access. I downloaded sygate, i've heard of it before and its used quite a lot here in the UK, thats even better, its FREE, an extra $30 in my pocket