Sign in to follow this  
yzpmpgq

Geovision IP camera quality issue

I have had a 16 camera geovision system for years and it works great. I want to switch to IP cameras. I started with 3 IP cameras and set them to 30FPS. Live view looks fine (looks more like 10-14FPS), but the recordings looked more like 3-5FPS. I added a 2nd hard drive (Seagate Surveillance HDD 4TB ST4000VX000 6Gb/s ) and dedicated the IP cams to it. They were actually worse! More like 1FPS with FREQUENT pauses, gaps, etc. I listed my system below. What items need to be checked/upgraded to make a viable 16 IP camera system?

Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600)

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R MB (Intel chipset, SATA 3GB/s)

2 - 4GB SATA 6 drives (yes, I know 3 is the max with this MB)

3 GB RAM

NVidia Geoforce 9400 GT

Geovision 1480 A Combo card

Geovision v8.5.9 - I tried a newer version and couldn't even get it to come up, so I had to reinstall this one.

When running, performance is:

CPU-80%

Memory - 80%

Disk 1 - 1-2%

Disk 2 - 1-2%

Ethernet - 9-14Mbps

As a note, before adding IP cams, I upgraded from win 7 to 10 and ever since then, even the analog cameras look "blocky". I tried different drivers with no improvement.

Suggestions?

Hi, so out of curiosity, and laying aside the 16 IP camera subject, you are trying to run a Windows 10 system with a Core 2 and only 3 GB RAM? Windows 10 will make life miserable with only 3 GB RAM.

As I understand it, your Motherboard supports 16GB RAM. Suggest an upgrade of RAM to at least 8-12GB, and test from there.

As old as the memory is, it will take around $200 to get 8GB of matching RAM. I would rather put that in a new system. Where can I get advice on what is recommended for a geo system? What I see on their site is years old and still based on Win 7.

And as another optio, can I simply get a new system using the geovision NVR and then map the cameras from the old system till I phase them out? Will basically any system work?

Thats what I would do, just start a new system for IP cameras. Geovision does make some NVRs, but I prefer to just use a PC as the NVR for Geovision. Currently they have a pretty good value on a 4MP H.265 outdoor camera

https://www.amazon.com/GeoVision-GV-EBD4700-Eyeball-Megapixel-Surveillance/dp/B01N39WY7P/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1495119946&sr=8-2&keywords=geovision+4mp+camera

If you are interested in a H.265 system, be sure to get an intel i7 6000 series.

I have had a 16 camera geovision system for years and it works great. I want to switch to IP cameras. I started with 3 IP cameras and set them to 30FPS. Live view looks fine (looks more like 10-14FPS), but the recordings looked more like 3-5FPS. I added a 2nd hard drive (Seagate Surveillance HDD 4TB ST4000VX000 6Gb/s ) and dedicated the IP cams to it. They were actually worse! More like 1FPS with FREQUENT pauses, gaps, etc. I listed my system below. What items need to be checked/upgraded to make a viable 16 IP camera system?

Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600)

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R MB (Intel chipset, SATA 3GB/s)

2 - 4GB SATA 6 drives (yes, I know 3 is the max with this MB)

3 GB RAM

NVidia Geoforce 9400 GT

Geovision 1480 A Combo card

Geovision v8.5.9 - I tried a newer version and couldn't even get it to come up, so I had to reinstall this one.

When running, performance is:

CPU-80%

Memory - 80%

Disk 1 - 1-2%

Disk 2 - 1-2%

Ethernet - 9-14Mbps

As a note, before adding IP cams, I upgraded from win 7 to 10 and ever since then, even the analog cameras look "blocky". I tried different drivers with no improvement.

Hi, Just a few thoughts.

I assume you now have 16 cameras attached, 13 analog and 3 IP Megapixel.

I also assume that you are using Geovision 1.3MP cameras. Sorry if I got that wrong.

You asked "What items need to be checked/upgraded to make a viable 16 IP camera system?" so I presume your analog cameras will be phased out completely.

Your Geovision 1480 A Combo card has served you well.

If you remove the Geovision 1480 A Combo card your current PC spec should

easily run 16 IP Cameras.

The Geovision 1480 A Combo card uses a lot of CPU processing which is

currently taking away from the power needed for your 3 IP cameras.

If you keep your Geovision 1480 A Combo card and try a slow transition then you will need to drastically reduce the FPS until the last of the analog are replace.

Best of luck!