JSTUBB

Geovision or H-series card?

Oz, do you have direct contact with the people that make the GeoVision? There is a major feature that I like that they don't have. It is a visual time line of the video recorded by each camera for a day. Kodicom has it and it is a great way of looking at an entire days recording to see what happened during off hours. In fact almost all DVRs have it. DigiFlower, Kodicom, CQ Max, etc. GeoVision really needs to put this in their next revision. The other feature they don't have which is in high demand is time and event recording. Essentially this is where you tell the DVR to record at one speed continously (say 1 fps) and then when it detects motion to kick it into a higher speed (5 fps). A lot of people are demanding this feature. Another change I'd like to see is the ability to adjust each cameras picture size, not just a universal setting. So camera 1 could be at 320x240 but you might want camera 2 at 640x480. Also is there a scheduler for the email feature?

It wouldn't do to have the email feature active all day long in case you have areas of high motion during the day, otherwise you could get hundreds of motion activated emails.

Have had 6.0 loaded and running on test machine for 2 weeks without incident. Although, I have not tried all the features, it was a nice easy upgrade. Just make sure you leave 5.x on there prior to upgrading since the 6.0 package does not include all the dll's needed. Just install over the old release.

Popup feature is nice, and I believe they had some logging options. The system log is real lame in previous releases and had to write my own, so I could see what the user was doing prior to a problem or whos been using system remotely.

I'm still looking for a second option in DVR cards (not systems) though. I don't like being tied to only one type but have yet to find another card with the reliability and features Geo has, and still be cost effective.

Also is there a scheduler for the email feature?

It wouldn't do to have the email feature active all day long in case you have areas of high motion during the day, otherwise you could get hundreds of motion activated emails

There is a scheduler for email, also a time setting for how long before it emails you again, if motion persists. Also it cans end emails depending on level of sensitivity and time frame, in other words .5 of a second of motion, 1 second of motion or 1.5 seconds of motion, with thsi it means it can tell teh difference between a fast moving car and someone walking by and with the ability of motion sensitivity and masks it works quite well, you do not get too many false alarms, however the safest way is to wire hardware sensors and have it email by hardware detection and length of connection.

Its also easier to use the control room, that way it sends all motion events to you or when ever or whatever area you want, you dont have to record them and then no repetitive emails.

As for direct contact to Manufactorer, I have suggested a lot of the features that came out in version 6, I send them a wish list every 3 months which can be painfull with the language barrier (contains a lot of diagrams), however I am not vain enough to think that my influence has made these changes, I think everybody wants the same features, I had already suggested time lines and the other features you recommended the FPS adjustment is harder because Geo only uses one card.

I guess I never liked geo. I think it was the GUI, or maybe I just saw it when the were getting thier stuff together

I have told them to change it and make it more modern butthey claim that "This is our identity in the market" "Everyone knows Geo's GUI"

I hope this helped,

I am attending a meeting with one of my clients next week at Geovision USA. He is evaluating the Geovision card as a basis for a new DVR he will produce. Not being totally familiar with the system I'd like any input that Geovision users might have regarding outstanding problems with the card or software and also a wish list of new features desired. I'll present both at the meeting. Maybe it will get back to the main factory.

I would be happy to help, the only problem is that I only just recently sent them a wish list so I am halfway between the new one, I will email you some issues and suggestions as there are many and they would be too big to post on here.

I guess the only issue is time, I may not have that done by next week but I will do my very best.

Cheers,

There's a GeoVision USA??? Do they have a website and english speaking reps?

Where is this place? ..... who what where .....

I've been test the new 6.0 and have had a few crashes, on same machine that has never had a problem with previous versions .....

Can't tell what is causing but probably a video card conflict.... anyone else have any anomalies with 6.0

bCam

Had an interesting meeting with the U.S. based GeoVision people. They showed me the new 6.0 software. I was not all that impressed with their search screen GUI. Very cumbersome, not easy to find clips. I think they really need to have a visual graph of recorded video the way Kodicom, Idis, and others have for easy video retrieval. I also found out that the object search feature doesn't work via remote which is a real problem. I did like the Dynamic IP capability and also the fact they record the reader software right onto the CD with the backup. The POS feature is very lame. Difficult to find clips, no way to use parameters like find all transactions above or below a certain price level. Very limited search parameters. No easy way to backup a POS clip once found, and no bookmark feature to mark a clip for viewing later. Also object search is very clumsy compared to IDIS, or Magic Radar. Guess you can't have everything. I think they have some dynamite features but present it in a very clumsy way which could be made much easier through a properly designed GUI.