ealfon02

Geovision and the onboard sound card

I recently install a geovison system at my business. Specs:

P4 3gh 800fsb

2 120 gb

GV800-16

g-force 128 mb

I currently have ten cameras. Everthing was working fine for awhile, but now when viewing the lice feed some of the camera freeze up. I am also getting some video lost screen every once in awhile. I noticed that the hard disk are starting to fill up, I had it so it records over the old stuff.

Besides the above mentioned problem I have a couple of other questions.

Why is it that you must disable the onboard sound card?

Can you install a pci sound card instead to listen to recorded audio?/

Also what is they beeping noise coming from the geovison card?

Thanks in advance

Great site

The beeping noise is because you have less cameras connected to the system than it is told is there, you need to limit the ports then restart geo and de activate the cameras not in use.

It sounds like you have a weak camera signal, this is usually from either undervoltage ..too many cameras on one supply or cheap and nasty cameras.

However it would pay to check that you have installed direct x 9 and that the hardware is functioning properly.

Please be sure that you have not recorded to the C: drive, make sure you use a partition to record to and take away the default recording to C: Drive or you will strangle the swap file

DVR_Expert wrote:

Please be sure that you have not recorded to the C: drive, make sure you use a partition to record to and take away the default recording to C: Drive or you will strangle the swap file

Why is so important to have 2 partitions or hard disks in a DVR PC Based?

I can limit the size of video data so that no strangle the swap file.

Thanks

With Geovision Cards...

Why should I disable th onboard sound card? Or Can I install a pci sound card to listen to recorded audio or a CD music?

Thanks

David,

The DVR you mentioned is quite good although it is an OEM product and you probably wont receive much support. i've used it a few restaurants for remote surveillance, no major problems yet. You're getting a good price for it too, the trade price for it is not too far of. You will probably need to purchase an ADSL router for remote view. NOTE that you can only have one remote connection at a time, so you cant have more than 1 person viewing remotely at the same time. I hope this info has been of use.

You want to have a second partion (or better yet a second drive) so that you move from one critcal point of failure that takes out the system and your video to two possible points of failure that only kill the system or the video but not both. Using a seperate partion weakens that a little but can help. Another reason is that if the software goes nuts in cleaning up it doesn't take the OS out. Third reason is so you can have a swap file of good size.

Spot on thomas, this also keeps your windows install clean and leaves room for any updates, this way the part of the HDD that has the OS on it is never touched, rmeoving fragmentation and bad sector issues.

Spot on thomas, this also keeps your windows install clean and leaves room for any updates, this way the part of the HDD that has the OS on it is never touched, rmeoving fragmentation and bad sector issues.

I have never partitioned a hard drive when using the GEO card. I would like to do this on my next build. Please tell me how much I should alocate for the windows 2000 operating system, and should the operating system be the only item on this partition? I usually install an automatic defrag program, along with the CD burner software. Normally, I use (3) 120gb

Western digital drives, as I do not know how to alter the bio to use a 200gb drive. Also, after reading some other post, it looks like I should consider a different brand of hard drive, maybe Maxtor?? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Robert

I would leave ten gigs for the OS and software. An auto defragementor probley isn't nesscary (the software is mostly writing, not reading) and NTFS is a bit more robust then FAT as far as fragmenting goes. W2k has a bug that limits drive size, use SP4 to get past it.

You should always make a partition for the oS or you will run into problems, for 2k you can get away with 5Gb but 7 or ten would be better as this leaves room for updates. If you load burning software be sure to leave the auto start Cd function on as some writing programs that use packet writing have failures if this is not done.. Personnaly I would go for XP Pro or Home if you can not afford Pro and I would leave a definate 10Gb for XP.

you shouldn't need to autofragment and you could just use the windows scheduler to do that but seeing as you will be writing mostly it should not be much of an issue as long as you are using a software integrated UPS device to avoid AVI corruption, mind you why not let something else out of the bag, I mean I have already mentioned two of the cool features Geo are coming out with on the latest version of the software, so here is one more, they have made it so that on start up it will search and repair any corrupted AVI files, so that is a nice touch.

Unless you have an old BIOS from an old motherboard then most Motherboards will now easily see 200Gb, I do not know the full story but without loading a small app that is on the website of most drive manufactorers it can be hard for the machine to install on a full 200+ drive as it can not do this as the boot drive without this small file in the master boot record (I am probably wrong about this and I am sure Thomas will know as he knows a lot more about PC's than I do, that is why I employ tech's), failing that it is rather simple to do a BIOS update for your Motherboard and most of them come with bootable floppys for this purpose, some mainboards can even do it from inside windows, hell my mainboard can play MP3's from the BIOS and even speaks to me if something fails... Once again you get what you pay for and the same goes for the Drives, I have never been a fan of Western Digital or IBM drives but I hear IBM is ok now, the drives on the market now (excluding SCSI are all fairly fallable so the best bet is to get one with a long warranty, Seagate were aware of the lack of consumer confidence when IBM had isses so when they released the 8mb buffer drives they cleverly added a 3 Yr warranty so that is what hooked me on them, mind you Maxtor are as good.... Please tell me you do not put the drives one on top of the other as this causes major headaches with heat dissapation

It depends on the mobo but most of the time it was a flash update, other times it was a windows patch. w2k has a 124 gb limit that MS goofed on. SP2 fixed it and is part of SP4.