Robert Oaks

Which drive should GEO ard be on

I have just built a new computer, and for my first time, have partitioned hard drive #1(of 3). In the past I have not done a partition. The drive is partitioned 3gb for drive "C" and the balance of the 120gb drive as drive "E". Windows 2000 is on the 3gb "C" drive. Should I install the GEO system on "C" or "E" ? Thank you.

Generally you want software on the C:\ drive and the video on E:\ But with W2k you may want closer to 5gb on the system drive.

Another thing to keep in mind. When doing multiple drives together, you never want to use software spanning for an application like this. Software spans are very sensitive to power changes and crashes. Drives in RAID 0 offer a little more robustness then a simple software span. RAID 5 gives you wonderful redunancy. Drive fails, you pull it, put a new one in and let the raid card rebuild the system.

I sincerely appreciate the replys, but frankly, I am now more confused than before. I do not know what a software-span is, and don't know how to change the 2gb to a 5gb: I will just have to go back to the non-partition version, which is working perfectly in all of our setups. Some day, when the alarm business slows down a bit, I will try to learn more about computers; or better still, will soon find a stand-along recorder that is affordable, long term storage, and quality-built. We just do not have enough time to spend on building and setting up these computer/recorders. Maybe we can even find someone to build them for us, so that all we have to do is open the box and place them into service. Many thanks.

Eh, it's not that much easier going the other way. I'm a software/hardware guy and I know jack about cameras. (Which is why I'm here.)

I agree with thomas, I am from a computer background and then moved to CCTv, took ages to get my head around it but selling an alarm system and making a few bucks compared to an install of CCTV system that can make you many thousands, I just put my head down and bum up!

If I can make a really good suggestion, I have really only been using computers for 6 years now, the very best thing you can do to get started is attend a C.O.M.P.T.I.A A+ certification course, this will teach you everything that you need to know about building machines ..it really is simple!

You can learn to build machines.. but think about this.. I could learn alarms in a heartbeat, it is rather simple... but I would be sure to make many simple mistakes that might lead to false alarms etc... so there are always tricks of the trade, we tend to make it a bit confusing because we try to use very trick.. you could always buy your machines fully made, most places that sell geo offer this!

Once you have done your A+ (about 6 weeks part time)

I would suggest the following courses.. you do not need to but I found them very helpfull, the future of access, alarms and cctv is all in I.P so it pays to learn.

Network +

Inet +

MCSE

CNE

After this there will be nothing you dont know but all you really need is A+ and Network+

Worth the time spent!

Skip the MSCE, waste of money and time. A+ is good for the basics. But you want the best way to learn? Put together a machine, play with the settings till you break something, then use Google. I learned more from breaking PC's then I ever did from any class. Some other good and cheap methods of learning is try Gentoo Linux. It's built from the raw code up and will make you learn alot about the hardware.