antdickens

Athlon Chips with Geovision

My GV250 seems to be fine. It's in a VIA KT400 Gigabyte m/b with Athlon XP2800+ BARTON. As long as you avoid VIA mainboards with GV650 or higher cards you should be ok with Athlons. My next project will be to ditch this mainboard and go for the Gigabyte NForce 2 chipset board and see how a GV800 - 8 or 16 port runs with the Athlon. Very expensive board in the UK though which is a pain.

There have been previous threads on this forum relating to this topic and it seems to have been comprehensively covered by persons much more knowledgeable than myself. I'd recommend a well-cooled system though. I use a ThermalTake Xaser 3000 case and it is excellent for this job.

Steve

One of the subtle bits of cooling is something everyone here should be good with: Proper cabling. Unless you're doing something exotic like water cooling, you want to take a look at how your cables affect airflow. If you have one drive, a cd burner, and that's it, then you don't have to worry much. But some of the systems I've put together here have up to five drives (System plus 4 in RAID 5) and a burner. IDE cables are horrible, try replacing them with some of the rounded ones, or make your own rounded cables (three plastic ties forcing the cable into a circle). SATA is great with it's small cables, but if you have a lot of them, tie them together. Tie powercables together. Little things and the extra time can mean the differance between stock cooling and having to spend extra money on cooling.

I forgot to mention that point. I don't have SATA drives so I have changed the IDE ribbon cables for good quality round ones by Coolermaster which I can recommend. A decent CPU heatsink/fan is worthwile too.

It's worth making a good job of building a PC for a DVR which runs 24/7, even down to using a good quality thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5) between heatsink and CPU.

That's why I'm thinking of an NForce 2 m/board next and trying it with a GV800. I don't think Geo give enough info on this subject so the easiest way to go is to just build an Intel system, however some people (me) like to support Intels competitors. It's not critical that my system is up and running though as it is more of a hobby to me. I like to fiddle around

. If it was a "critical" system I'd use Intel.

I have a few systems running for few months already, built uppon a magic radar cards (uses HINT cpontroller) with nforce2 boards.

Surprisingly, boards with KT400 also works well with these cards, but KT600/800 doesn't.

Yes, I seem to remember a previous post stating that it's not quite as simple as saying that all VIA boards won't work with the higher spec Geo cards. Apparently it's a Northbridge/Southbridge issue. One of them can be VIA but the other can't. I forget which way round it is though.