WildCard

Geovision Port forwarding assignments

I want to setup remote webcam viewing, just wanted to confirm that all I need to setup is:

and 3389 for remote desktop, right?

Thanks-

-WC-

port 80 is for the WAN side and the others for the LAN. all you should need to "port forward is 80 to view from the internet (WAN).

port 80 is for the WAN side and the others for the LAN. all you should need to "port forward is 80 to view from the internet (WAN).

Are you certain about that?

scottj

I think scott is trying to say you need all those ports you mentioned before for webcam to work

you definitely need 80, 4550 and 5550 (4550 and 5550 are for video and data).

3550 is for audio i think and im not to sure about remote desktop, but 3389 sounds about right.

Port Forward or create Virtual Server (depending on the router brand) the following:

80 = Http

3550 = TCP Server (bind IP in "Hotline/Network" tab, Used for RemoteView Client)

4550 = Command

5550 = Data

5066 = Remote Playback Server

6550 = Audio

3389 = Remote Desktop Connection

3663 = Authentication Server

Check the WebCam and TCP features in the General System Configuration menu. Enable the RPB (remote playback) server to auto start when windows starts, smooth sailing......Setup DDNS Management client if you use dynamic IP service.

scottj

oh wow, you need all those ports to be able to view remote viewing of webcam server?

No wonder it's failing for me. I only have 80, 3550, 4550, 5550! I can do remote desktop (3389), but can't webcam it, hangs and times out.

Thanks!

-WC-

You don't need all those Wildcard, you just need 80, 4550 and 5550 for webcam to work. We rarely require the other ports unless the customer asks for audio control in which case we add them to the list. Try webcam on a Local network before you try connect remotely.

Yes CCTV is correct, I just listed all of them for your reference in case you wished to use other features remotely.

scottj

Great, thanks all. With your info, I tested it out on another PC on the local network and the webcam worked great. The router isn't letting the traffic through, and it's controlled by an external vendor to the sites I installed the DVR systems, so I am at their mercy to get it resolved. I can remote desktop (3389) to them anyways, so they have it partly right.

Thanks again,

-WC-

After talking with Geovision tech support a year or so ago I finally had to put the Geovision Server in a DMZ zone on a seperate IP and router. I will try your ports suggestions to see if I missed something before.

Okay, personal pet peeve time. For the love of christ people, do not put machines in the DMZ. Mr. DMZ is not your friend. The DMZ on a router places the machine outside the firewall. This renders a router into an expensive paperweight.

I realize that putting the Geovision in the DMZ is a major security threat. That is why I put it on a seperate network all by itself and enabled the XP firewall to only allow Geovision services to run. I tried opening ports to the machine (via Geovision tech support's recommendations) but that did not work at the time so DMZ was my only choice. Believe you me I did not want to use the DMZ.

Smootwall is a hardware-software firewall, over Linux, it runs on a P II, 64 mb, Instal it is very easy, you don't need to know linux and it handles networking in a very simple way. You can use 3 NIC, and you are going to have the RED who is the WAN, the green who is your network very safe LAN, and the yellow that can act as DMZ but with more advantages, because you are using nat, no one can see you except the ports that you forward to it, which is very easy to do. If you are going to use a Internet Explorer to monitoring your GEO, you should forward just port 80,4550,5550. If you want audio ad 6550, if you want to download files over ftp 21, and so. But if you are going to use Multicam Remot View what you need is 3550 and 4550. You can download Smootwall for free on http://smootwall.org.

Smootwall is a hardware-software firewall, over Linux, it runs on a P II, 64 mb, Instal it is very easy, you don't need to know linux and it handles networking in a very simple way. You can use 3 NIC, and you are going to have the RED who is the WAN, the green who is your network very safe LAN, and the yellow that can act as DMZ but with more advantages, because you are using nat, no one can see you except the ports that you forward to it, which is very easy to do. If you are going to use a Internet Explorer to monitoring your GEO, you should forward just port 80,4550,5550. If you want audio ad 6550, if you want to download files over ftp 21, and so. But if you are going to use Multicam Remot View what you need is 3550 and 4550. You can download Smootwall for free on http://smootwall.org.

Here's the correct link -> http://www.smoothwall.org/

so it doesnt run on windows? If not, then its pretty much no good for GEO and most other PC DVRs, worth talking about ...

Smoothwall is an entire operating system with integrated firewall so it has to be its own machine. I think he was trying to say that instead of using cheap off-the-wall routers you should use a smoothwall box.

that aint gonna happen, Linksys is fine for most apps

and cisco for the rest .. I mean we're not the CIA ...

The differances between the two are pretty minmual. If memory serves smoothwall is just based around IPtables/linux, which is what Linksys routers run. Smoothwall is just ment if you have a few spare PC's and/or parts laying around. It also allows for a greater degree of control, but 90% of users don't need it.