Garry

So confused over DVRs

Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to DVRs and also here. So is anyone kind enough to explain to me the difference between standalone DVRs, network DVRs, Triplex DVRs, Multiplex DVRs, Linux Based PC DVRs & embedded DVRs? Do all of them have the function of remote monitoring? If not, what function or specification would differentiate those with remote monitoring and those without? What is the difference between M/JPEG & M/MPEG format? Does it matter which format it is? What is the common format that people go for? For remote monitoring, what is needed to enable the remote monitoring? Is it necessary for the DVR to have a web server in it to do remote monitoring? Do we log into the internet to view the CCTVs or will there usually be a software to install in the remote computer to view the CCTVs live?

I'm relatively a DVR idiot, so I guess will need your help before I know which one suits me. Thank you guys.

Standalone DVR- Also known as embedded DVRs. A DVR in which the hardware and software is proprietary. Not built from a PC. Uses an embedded chip for processing.

Network DVR- Or NDVR. Just check out

http://www.securelinkltd.com/

Triplex- Is a function or specification of any DVR unit. Basically means you will be able to perform 3 tasks simultaneously without stopping or halting another. Example: You can record live(1) while connected remotely(2) and view a playback(3). Some DVRs are only duplex and simplex. A simplex can only do one thing at a time. Example: If you want to view a playback, your recording stops. Duplex is 2.

Multiplex- Basically means the DVR will take a numerous amount of full screen cameras and display them simultaneously on a monitor. I think almost every DVR has this capability.

Linux Based PC DVRs- Are PC based DVRs running of a Linux OS platform. They are PC's with a number of Linux compatible DVR cards and a form of Linux installed to run them.

Embedded DVRs- Answered that above.

No, not all DVRs have the ability to be remotely viewed or accessed. It all depends on the make and model. Though the majority do offer this feature.

I cant go over all the compression formats so just visit here: http://www.primedigitalinc.com/solution/MPEG2.html

If your looking for a DVR that will be remotely accessed you probably want to stick with one that utilizes MPEG4 or H.264 because of the small compression of the video files.

It is not necessary for a DVR to have a web server but is highly recommended. Without a web server you can still access the DVR though you will either have to host the server yourself or have someone else host it. It becomes a pain when accessing the DVR frequently. This is mostly found in low end budget machines. So get one with a built in web server.

Depending on the DVR, you can usually access it via IE or through the DVR's client software. Most decent DVRs are able to be viewed either way.

It all depends on your specific application to determine what kind/type of DVR will best suit you. Give us the amount of cameras your planning on, where this DVR is going to be, and what your expectations are. Oh, and a budget. I hope this all helps a little. You can always perform a search and find everything you will ever want to know on this forum.

Edited by Guest

Sorry thomas, I changed it . No more plugs for you .

I didn't know your product supported analog cameras too. I thought you guys were strictly IP.

Learn something new everyday.

Tom,

What kind of capture card(s) do your analog severs use and what are the frame rates?

What Resolutions?

Are frame rates and Resolution controlable per port?

Do you use a os drive and a separate storage drive?

How many storage drives and what sizes are compatable?

Do you threadimages acroos the drives ( meaning stored archives go to the drive with the most space firts or is it a contiouos filing system under one directory per port?

What is max days of storage on a fully loaded(flagship) DVR?

Are they raid compatable?

Wow that's fantastic. I learnt so much about DVRs just by reading what you wrote. Thanks man.

Standalone DVR- Also known as embedded DVRs. A DVR in which the hardware and software is proprietary. Not built from a PC. Uses an embedded chip for processing.

Network DVR- Or NDVR. Just check out

http://www.securelinkltd.com/

Triplex- Is a function or specification of any DVR unit. Basically means you will be able to perform 3 tasks simultaneously without stopping or halting another. Example: You can record live(1) while connected remotely(2) and view a playback(3). Some DVRs are only duplex and simplex. A simplex can only do one thing at a time. Example: If you want to view a playback, your recording stops. Duplex is 2.

Multiplex- Basically means the DVR will take a numerous amount of full screen cameras and display them simultaneously on a monitor. I think almost every DVR has this capability.

Linux Based PC DVRs- Are PC based DVRs running of a Linux OS platform. They are PC's with a number of Linux compatible DVR cards and a form of Linux installed to run them.

Embedded DVRs- Answered that above.

No, not all DVRs have the ability to be remotely viewed or accessed. It all depends on the make and model. Though the majority do offer this feature.

I cant go over all the compression formats so just visit here: http://www.primedigitalinc.com/solution/MPEG2.html

If your looking for a DVR that will be remotely accessed you probably want to stick with one that utilizes MPEG4 or H.264 because of the small compression of the video files.

It is not necessary for a DVR to have a web server but is highly recommended. Without a web server you can still access the DVR though you will either have to host the server yourself or have someone else host it. It becomes a pain when accessing the DVR frequently. This is mostly found in low end budget machines. So get one with a built in web server.

Depending on the DVR, you can usually access it via IE or through the DVR's client software. Most decent DVRs are able to be viewed either way.

It all depends on your specific application to determine what kind/type of DVR will best suit you. Give us the amount of cameras your planning on, where this DVR is going to be, and what your expectations are. Oh, and a budget. I hope this all helps a little. You can always perform a search and find everything you will ever want to know on this forum.