andywilko73

Networking and installation

Hi all,

This is a question on installation. I am a DIYer and have question on IP networking. I havent purchased anything yet (likely to be Hikvision 8mp IP PoE cams and 6TB Surveillance NVR), but would like to know my limitations before i do so. I plan to install IP PoE cams connected to an 8 port unmanaged PoE switch in my loft, then using a powerline adapters to connect to my router located in my hallway, and connect again (via powerline adapter) to NVR located in my lounge so I can directly connect the NVR to my TV via the HDMI connection.

I choose powerline adapters as I dont want Cat5/6 cables running through my house and I want the NVR in my lounge so I may connect it directly to my TV as well as having the IP access through my router so I can access anywhere in the world.

Are there any considerations to think about like will I have to assign individual IP addresses for cams? will I be able to view all cams as a matrix or because its a single stream can only see one cam at a time. Thanks in advance

I can't answer any questions about how many cameras you'll be able to view at once, because I'm relatively new to video surveillance gear, myself, and it'll depend upon your software in any event.

But, as a retired Systems, Network & TelCom Admin with over 25 years experience building and maintaining networks (LANs, WANs, WLANs) for a living I'm going to suggest

cameras <-> switch <-> powerline <-> router <-> powerline <-> NVR

is probably not going to result in a happy outcome.

First of all, powerline adaptors have highly variable performance, depending upon a variety of unpredictable factors. At the very least I'd obtain a pair and do network bandwidth, latency and error rate tests between Point A and Point B, then Point B and Point C before proceeding. I'd be surprised if you got sufficient low-error-rate bandwidth to support eight video streams.

Secondly: It has been my experience that most routers (and I'm making the assumption you probably have either a common consumer-grade or cable company device) tend to be sub-optimal as network switches. Particularly common WiFi routers.

In my opinion, based on experience: Switches to switch, routers to route, and WiFi access points to provide wireless access. Avoid WiFi and powerline where wired is feasible. As to WiFi vs. powerline: Whichever works best, which is highly site-dependant.

• Like 1

Hi Cortian2,

Firstly Thankyou for responding to my post.

I would normally agree entirely with your answer as im an instrument controls engineer for O&G industry. However it doesn’t solve my problem of keeping wiring minimally visable. I wish to keep the NVR in my lounge as to utilise the HDMI to connect directly to the TV. My router has to remain in my hall way. The last thing i want is 8x cat5/6 cables converging on my lounge. We all know how hideous a single cable looks never mind multiple.

I understand its not ideal set up, but based on previous advice from an installer who wanted to fit the NVR in my loft and really offer nothing else. Thought it would offer me what i needed, but wasnt sure if would have issues with not directly connecting between switch and router and router and NVR

Thanks

You're welcome.

No need to run eight cables to the lounge. Run them to the loft, as you intended, then either:

1. A single cable from the switch in the loft to a switch in the lounge, then a single cable from there to the router
  2. A single cable from the switch in the loft to the router, then a single cable from the router to the lounge

I prefer option #1, because, as I noted, earlier: My experience is that many consumer-grade routers make poor switches under high demand. And the video feeds from eight cameras I think might qualify as relatively high demand.

A small 5-port NetGear ProSafe unmanaged switch is a mere $30 on Amazon in the U.S.

But, if you're bound and determined to try the powerline networking, again: Buy a pair of them and test them, first. There's an app called iperf3 that's available for nearly every operating system (Linux, other Unix', MS-Win, Mac OS X, iOS, Android, etc.) that you can use to do a bandwidth test.

I use a laptop running Linux for the client because I can subsequently look at the output of the network interface status for a variety of network errors.

Hi. What you have to take into account is your using 4K

And please don't use hikvision NVR

Is your tv 4K

Do you have a tv upstairs

Were are you located.

8 x4k cameras down one cat cable will give you a lot of problems.

You will also need good switches not cheap equipment.

You have a few options ......power adapter from NVR to router for your remote view will work no problem as that is a lower stream anyway.

Putting recorder with your tv is not a secure place .......if a house is broken into is usually the tv and AV equipment that is gone including your recorder.

Which is why I ask if you have a tv in a bedroom

You could keep everything in your loft and just have a HDMI to that tv. For your down stairs tv you could just use an app along with Apple box or android box.

Or again NVR somewhere secure and use a HDMI with USB extender ......1 cat5 from NVR down to tv with full image and mouse control

tomcctv,

Thanks for your input

Is there an alternative NVR you suggest? only thought of Hikvision NVR as it was part of a package deal.

Actually totally forgot about potential break in and loss of AV equipment, so good shout there on spotting that error. Although in saying that, generally people dont alarm the upstairs of a property

Any particular apps required for visualisation of CCTV on my TV. I have Sony 4k and Panasonic 4K TV's in kitchen and lounge.

I have a TV upstairs but its an old set with limited hdmi connections.

You have given me food for thought though so there are some considerations for me think about

cheers

Cortian2,

thanks again, will use that app to check my current bandwidth. I already have a few powerline adapters for other equipment

thanks