WizCam

CRT Monitors vs. VGA

I've been researching the pricing and quality between traditional CRT Monitors vs. VGA monitors.

I've found that the camera resolution is slightly degraded when viewing the video via a VGA output to VGA monitor ... some grabbing in the video also when an object moves quickly through the field of view.

CRT monitors have little if any resolution / quality degradation and if I was a client that is what I'd prefer to use.

Most people it seems want the compact sleek design of a VGA monitor to view the CCTV systems ... but the price is higher, and the video quality is degraded vs. CRT.

Some CRT video monitors are also pricey but the video resolution is an obvious improvement over VGA. However with the more bulky housing of a CRT monitor it seems to be a turn off to some people.

How can you present the trade-off between the CRT vs. VGA monitoring without turning off a client? I once suggested that since the DVR has both VGA and CRT monitor outputs that they should get both. Of course this seems like I'm trying to upsell two different monitoring systmes (in a way I am), but in all seriousness. If a client insists on high resolution imaging from a camera, they should be viewing that camera from the best possible monitor, and if they don't want to part with a VGA option ... then they should include the CRT option as well.

So my last question is ... where can you get reasonably priced CRT & VGA monitors that don't make a client feel like they are paying to much. I'm not trying to sell monitors ... I'm trying to sell CCTV systems. I'd only mark up the monitors like 10% plus shipping.

I once considered buying a cheap 13" color TV with RCA video input at Walmart just because the monitor was the sticking point on getting the job for a 1- camera installation. I wasn't going to pay more for a monitor than a camera and use that as a loss leader. Even with that compromise the client balked. Now I'm supposed to present him with a new proposal this February.

I do alot of the budget entry level 4 cam residential jobs.

I have been crying in my beer since they stopped selling the 13 inch color tv with the built in VCR!! They used to sell in the $85.00 range at Wally World, and they were great for a monitor, and for recording footage off the DVR.

Now that they sell the 13 inch TV with a built in DVD player I am sad to see "technology" marching forward!

I still buy 13" color TVs with the RCA connector on the front end. They work great, and they usually fit on top of the DVR.

I would say pass on this customer, or tell him to provide his own monitor.

I found a great deal at Circuit City a couple of months ago. 19" Flat screen LCD for $140. Bought several of them. When I did a small business, I put them right up front in the business, so the customers can see the video feed. I made my own mounts for them. All still working great. Of course you have to have DVR's that have VGA feed.

Of course you have to have DVR's that have VGA feed.

Or analog-to-VGA convertors. There are some inexpensive ones around.

By VGA you mean an LCD?

Remember although they are rare, there are still CRT VGA monitors out in the field

Depending on the converter and the LCD there can be a huge loss of quality when converting composite to VGA.

Bottom line is composite to a cheap CRT 13" TV will be much better quality than converted to VGA on an LCD monitor.

Ofcourse there is a trade off for saving space with the LCD, and that is quality loss.

BTW. if using a PC DVR, get a video card with a DVI output and an LCD with DVI input, for higher quality live video (just slightly but every bit counts).

Also, to get the best of both worlds (for non Megapixel systems), great evidence sharing features of a decent PC CCTV System, and the higher live and playback quality of a CCTV CRT:

pc_setup_example.jpg

Wiz, with this industry growing exponentially, more and more people are expecting a Mercedes for a Kia price and to have all the video forensic abilities that CSI and other entertainment media misrepresents. I know more and more installers are just ignoring those one-time, one-channel jobs. Or they will tell the consumer to just buy a system at Costco or Fry's and just charge them for installation. Of course, mention that they are on their own as far as service and warranty is concerned.

You can get LCDs monitors really cheap online from reputable online-only companies. You can PM me for prices on professional CCTV monitors.

I've been researching the pricing and quality between traditional CRT Monitors vs. VGA monitors.

I've found that the camera resolution is slightly degraded when viewing the video via a VGA output to VGA monitor ... some grabbing in the video also when an object moves quickly through the field of view.

CRT monitors have little if any resolution / quality degradation and if I was a client that is what I'd prefer to use.

Most people it seems want the compact sleek design of a VGA monitor to view the CCTV systems ... but the price is higher, and the video quality is degraded vs. CRT.

Some CRT video monitors are also pricey but the video resolution is an obvious improvement over VGA. However with the more bulky housing of a CRT monitor it seems to be a turn off to some people.

How can you present the trade-off between the CRT vs. VGA monitoring without turning off a client? I once suggested that since the DVR has both VGA and CRT monitor outputs that they should get both. Of course this seems like I'm trying to upsell two different monitoring systmes (in a way I am), but in all seriousness. If a client insists on high resolution imaging from a camera, they should be viewing that camera from the best possible monitor, and if they don't want to part with a VGA option ... then they should include the CRT option as well.

So my last question is ... where can you get reasonably priced CRT & VGA monitors that don't make a client feel like they are paying to much. I'm not trying to sell monitors ... I'm trying to sell CCTV systems. I'd only mark up the monitors like 10% plus shipping.

I once considered buying a cheap 13" color TV with RCA video input at Walmart just because the monitor was the sticking point on getting the job for a 1- camera installation. I wasn't going to pay more for a monitor than a camera and use that as a loss leader. Even with that compromise the client balked. Now I'm supposed to present him with a new proposal this February.

I feel what you mean, but, LCD is the future. if you can find some good LCD monitor for demo, then, your clients' will be knee to purchase the LCD rather CRT. Because, regular consumer LCD sold in major retail stores are cheap, but, they can't compare professionally manufacture security monitors. I know the casing on the outside is the same, but, internally, manufacture have strenghten componets inside to withstand 27/7 durability (Well, most of them does).

My point is: you have to consider all index of performance when compare CRT and LCD. Then, the choice is obvious~

Thanks for all the responses .. They have been very helpful and informative. Rory .. great illustration also.

I guess it really depends on the client when it comes to this issue. What kind of performance and durability they require and expect.

I know this issue will rear its ugly head again.

FYI... I had the client purchase his own monitor since pricing was his main issue. Thanks for the advice on that scorpion. I was teetering on whether to suggest that to him, and since you mentioned it ... I explained that a lot of small office type customers purchase their own monitors to suit their needs and budgets. He's happy and I'm happy. One armor dome IR camera; w/ 4 port, non-networkable DVR & USB port in under 3 hours makes that insurance salesman one happy individual, and myself a happy one too.

In the future however I'd like to really have a good base knowledge of CRT (best quality) options ... and VGA / LCD options. I think cosemetics, price and quality of image all place various importance on a client by client basis. I'm actually very knowledgable about good quality broadcast level TV monitoring equipment ... but how that translates to CCTV use is yet to be seen.

I've been busy since before "Super Tuesday" Presidential Primaries working satellite ops for the company I work for fulltime ... today is off day so I'm just finding the time now to check this forum. Thanks for your replies in my absense.