GWCG

Security DVR vs Multi Media DVR

Can anyone help me understand the difference between a Security DVR such as the TI G4-4RTA and a 3-in-1 Video Recorder/Player JVC SR-DVM600US. I have a classroom applcation where I want to record live video from two cameras. Each camera is focused on different experiments. One for example is focused on a plants growth cycle. The other camera is focused on the formation of rust.

I want to capture events that take several days to develop and then play back the recordings and a high rate of speed to show the formations.

I am trying to figure out which type of DVR recording device would be best for this situation.

I have another classroom application where I want to record a students presentation.

Would the same DVR work for both types of applications?

Thanks for any help you might offer

This is a tough one however entirely possibly with a multimedia DVR I have never built one that did time lapse as you are requesting (1 frame per hour or so). Most security DVRs are going to at a minimum run 1 frame per second.

What is your budget for the project?

Nuvico ev4000 series will do 3 frames per minute according to the menu, and I believe the other models also have that option. Hope this helps.

Your answer helps me answer my real question which was what is the difference between a security DVR and a multi media DVR.

From within your replays I think I see the difference. The security DVR records in low frames per second while the multi media DVR records in real time. So I can use a security DVR to monitor the environmental experiments because "watch metal rust" is a long slow process. However recording a student speaking requires real time video recording and must be at 30 fps.

Would you agree with the above?

Security DVR's record in various time modes and settings ie motion, alarm, schedule and at various resolution. Depending on the client needs will depend on how we do the settings, but a security DVR can record at 30fps which is close to realtime. If you are recording live presentations for dvd quality will require a dvd recorder and camers, this enables keeping the video and the audio in sync. With security dvr's the audio and video will smetimes lag. Hope this helps.